1975 Johnson 40hp Ignition Coil

MidnightSpeedKC

Seaman Apprentice
Had to order a new #2 cylinder Ignition Coil today. Got it on ebay for $25 shipped. Just thought I'd vent.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1975 Johnson 40hp Ignition Coil

usually both do not go out at the same time. i would suspect power pack or charge coil under flywheel.

MidnightSpeedKC

Seaman Apprentice

usually both do not go out at the same time. i would suspect power pack or charge coil under flywheel.

Only cylinder #2 coil went out, that's why I only ordered ONE for clyinder #2. :p

The epoxy, glue, or whatever it is that is around the top and bottom, broke/came seperated and exposed the copper wires and all the guts of it. The crack is only 1/8in all the way around, but that's what I suspect is the problem, because I'm getting absolutely no spark to the plug.

I am, however, getting perfect spark on cylinder #1. Cylinder #1 coil is still in perfect, tip-top shape.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

That engine has a low tension ign . 1 driver coil, 2 sets of points, 2 condensors, under the flywheel and 2 ign coils on the head. Pull the flywheel and inspect or change the points, they could be oil fouled. good luck.

MidnightSpeedKC

Seaman Apprentice

That engine has a low tension ign . 1 driver coil, 2 sets of points, 2 condensors, under the flywheel and 2 ign coils on the head. Pull the flywheel and inspect or change the points, they could be oil fouled. good luck.

Yea, I need to do that, I just need a flywheel puller.

I also need to replace the points in my 1959 35hp Evinrude Lark.