Rebuild Checklist

yorab

Ensign
Hello all. 1963 75hp Starflite. I've done some searching on the site to learn about which parts to replace during my powerhead rebuild and also to see what steps I should not forget. I have an OEM manual, but I still feel comfortable to read up a bit on others' advice for rebuilding. For instance, the manual does not mention to replace connecting rod screws, though many experienced rebuilders here say to do this every time.

Can we start a sticky that lists those parts that MUST be replaced, those that SHOULD be replaced and possibly some of the "tricks of the trade" that rebuilders have learned over the years? This would benefit me and I believe that many others will find this compiled knowledge useful as well. This info may be out there in the threads but it is difficult to locate, as it may be buried in a thread with a different topic. To have it all in one place would be ideal.

Because I'm new at this, I won't have much to add, but I can certainly document what I have done through my rebuild and let others know how things worked out for me. Thanks.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rebuild Checklist

Second the above post. I am ready to do a rebuild but am not sure what I am likely to need other than the obvious: pistons, rings, and gaskets set.

A little intimidating for us that have not done an outboard rebuild before.:confused:

A list of required tools would be helpful also.:D Please:D:D

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Rebuild Checklist

Count me in for lessons, I dissasembled a '67 sportfour and learned the hard way about the pins I should have driven out before attempting to split the block, good thing it was a junk block I damaged it prying with screwdrivers.