Removing a Alpha 1 and a 4.3L V6 from boat

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an engine hoist of my own. I have taken out many auto engines in my day. With that being said, Three questions:

1. How much work is it to remove the outdrive from the transom? Average time needed?

2. Is it better to remove the lag screws that hold the engine mounts to the stringers or to leave them be and just remove the top nuts from the mounts without disturbing the height of the mount itself?

I have a top of the line digital camera that I am going to to take 1,000 pictures with, LOL, so I can have a reference of everything for later. Also, it will be a good before & after for all you guys to see.

I just feel that the PO that had my boat did a rush job with the finer details. I feel all the hoses need to be replaced and the wiring is not to my standard. I also want to put in a auxilary bildge pump for safety. By pulling the engine I can work on it over the winter and get everything the way I want it.

3. One more thing? You know how this goes. If I have done all this....what about bigger and better right?

Are the engine mounts the same on a 4.3LV6 and a 5.0L/5.7L V8?
I just might go with a complete fuel injected crate marine engine deal. I know I have to stay under 300 HP. I will be happy with 250 HP.

Thanks again,

Johnny

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Removing a Alpha 1 and a 4.3L V6 from boat

1. How much work is it to remove the outdrive from the transom? Average time needed?

10 to 15 minutes. You may get the engine out without removing the drive, but it has to be off to install the engine, or you could damage the coupler.

2. Is it better to remove the lag screws that hold the engine mounts to the stringers or to leave them be and just remove the top nuts from the mounts without disturbing the height of the mount itself?

Remove the lag screws.

If you go up to the Adults Only sticky, you can download the manuals for your engine and drive. There are instructions from removing and installing the engine. (WITH Pictures)

EDIT: The side motor mounts are farther aft on a V6. (Shorter engine)
If you change to a V8, you will also need to change gear ratio in the outdrive.
If you try to run it by just changing props you would be wasting your time going to a bigger engine.

LakeshoreBluff

Recruit

Hi guys, sorry to hi jack this thread, but I am new to the iboats forum and was looking for a manual with pictures to remove a 4.3 mercruiser from a 1993 VIP. Don said this info was in the Adults only sticky, but I'm not following on where that sticky is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start your own thread and NOT hijack old threads. Sickies are the first threads in a forum that don't scroll away like other posts, they are stuck to the top of the forum aka sticky.