Draining a 5.8 VP

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been out of town all week and come back to learn the weather here in NC is going to be 34 for the low the next two nights. Dont want to chance anything in case it dips below 32, so want to drain the water from the block and manifolds and not fully winterize cause were back in the 70s next week.

Motor is a 1996 VP 5.8 fuel injected. My questions - how many drain plugs are on the block and the monifolds? Anything else I need to drain? Any info is appreciated.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Draining a 5.8 VP

a 5.8 has 4 drains one on each side of the block and one on each manifold.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Irlima,

If you are in the water, I would not bother for a short cold snap. If you are on a trailer or blocked up on the hard, I would definately drain as much as you can.

I have a pair of VP 5.7 liter (350cid) GM blocks in a 1997 Chris Craft and this is what I do for a cold snap: 1.) Drain the block, both sides, one petcock or plug on each side of the block about in the center of the block's lower face.
2.) Drain the exaust manifolds by pulling the hose from the front of each manifold. I also suck on the manifolds & hoses with a wet vacuum to pull as much water out of the manifold and riser as I can. 3.) Disconnect the hoses from the raw water pump and drain the pump and hoses. If you are in the water, this may not be possible because they may be below the water line.
4.) Disconnect and drain hoses from the thermostat housing (also suck with the wet vac) 5.) Disconnect and drain hoses from the engine circulation pump (also suck with the wet vac).

This takes about 20 minutes per engine and when done, I reattach all hoses and reinstall the plugs. But do watch the engine when you start-up as you may have forgotten to reattach one of the hoses.

I never use antifreeze in the engine and have never had a problem.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the replies. Yes the boat is on a trailer. i just got back and think i got all water out - like you all said two drains on the block, one each side and real easy to get to. put a wire in each hole to make sure nothing was blocking. pulled off the hoses on the front of each manifold (what a pain). then mopped up any excess water from the bilge. its mid 50s today with a low of 35 so probably not cold long enough to freeze, but better safe than sorry. thanks again for the responses.