Making a screen, suggestions please..

Noodleman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Herro!

I am bringing a ring 18 speedboat back to life at the moment, but when i got the hull it was missing its windshield at the front.

I can see that at some point in its life a previous owner has removed the shield, and not used it at all. The holes that the original shield were bolted into, had been filled in using polyfiller. I have since removed the flakey filler, and intend on using the original holes to fit a shield to the front (or if i get fedup trying to source/make one I will fiberglass them in)

Now, if the shield was square, or a non curved shape, I think it would be quite simple to shape some plexiglass, however the shape of the hull I have to work with is a curved D shape, and the mounting area is at about a 45 degree angle.

I made a quick diagram as an example as i do not have pics yet.
screen.jpg

As it is a D shape, I can't see how I would be able to easily mould a large bit of plexiglass. Does anybody have any advice about this. I have done a bit of searching, but most of the articles I have found are simple things, such as a single bend in a sheet of glass, rather than creating a sleek curved/angled shield.

I googled a random boat images also, as an example of the type of sheidl I would like to make if I can. I need something almost identical to this:

digiads_boat_ads_129593_1.jpg

Cheers for any replies

Noodle

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Making a screen, suggestions please..

First, go with Lexan not plexiglas it is much less likely to split and break. Next, choose the thickness....I'd say 1/8" or 3/16" max. Next, take a piece of very light gauge sheet metal or aluminum (26-30Ga.- aluminum 'flashing' material works well) and carefully form it and trim it to suit and fully fit...include the mount hole pattern. This will be your 'flat' template for later. Do a full installation of this and when complete fully measure as many reference points as you can on it (ie: width in several places, approximate full vertical height, installed front to back length, etc, etc....make an intelligent sketch layout of these dimensions (no crayons or cigarette package sketches):eek:
Now carefully unmount this full size/shaped working aluminum template and take it to a Industrial Plastics Supply shop along with your sketch.
This should land you very, very close to your requirement. They should be able to heat bend the corners and angle cant, etc.
Important installation note...use rubber isolation washers at all mount points or you will (still) risk cracks in it.;)
Good Luck
BP;):cool::)

Noodleman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Making a screen, suggestions please..

First, go with Lexan not plexiglas it is much less likely to split and break. Next, choose the thickness....I'd say 1/8" or 3/16" max. Next, take a piece of very light gauge sheet metal or aluminum (26-30Ga.- aluminum 'flashing' material works well) and carefully form it and trim it to suit and fully fit...include the mount hole pattern. This will be your 'flat' template for later. Do a full installation of this and when complete fully measure as many reference points as you can on it (ie: width in several places, approximate full vertical height, installed front to back length, etc, etc....make an intelligent sketch layout of these dimensions (no crayons or cigarette package sketches):eek:
Now carefully unmount this full size/shaped working aluminum template and take it to a Industrial Plastics Supply shop along with your sketch.
This should land you very, very close to your requirement. They should be able to heat bend the corners and angle cant, etc.
Important installation note...use rubber isolation washers at all mount points or you will (still) risk cracks in it.;)
Good Luck
BP;):cool::)

Cheers for the info, very handy! :)

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class