re-doing an alum boat

pstrep

Cadet
Hello all,

New here very first night. Here is my problem, I work for a scrap metal company and have been wanting a small boat to fish with for a while now. Well by chance the other day we got in a boat, looks to me to be maybe 14' to 16' (havent measured it yet) and dont know the make. Anyway, the hull of the boat looks to be in good condition, here is the problem, there are no seats in the thing at all. Someone has removed the entire inside, granted not much inside but all gone. What would be the easiest way to install seats and do I need to add any kind of foam to the inside of the seats? A few friends are willing to help with this because they want to go with to fish in the boat lol. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Probably starting this next weekend. Not worried about making it to fancy for now, maybe later, but just want to be able to use it for now.

Thanks folks

Str8OutTha9c

Seaman Apprentice
Re: re-doing an alum boat

You'd get some great information around here.

Also over on microskiff.com forums there's been a few jon boat threads lately where they gutted the inside out and made it all new from scrap aluminum.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Test the hull before you latch on to it. Fill it with water and check for leaks. Flip it over and eyeball the keel (straight line from stern to bow) to make sure it doesn't have a hook or a bow. If it checks out okay, take it home and put some seats in it...most small tinny's have three bench seats that add structural support to the hull. Shouldn't be hard to add those if you are crafty. Also check to see what it will cost to register the boat in your state/area and figure that into your potential cost of ownership.

pstrep

Cadet

Thanks for the advise I need it. Did check out the boat so far looks straight just need to test for leaks. I can see where the three bench seats are supposed to go but what is the easiest way to add new seats into the thing? There are no brackets even there to use as a guide. Also do I need to use any foam in the centers of the seats for flotation purposes?

Thanks again for any help you folks can give.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The places where the benches used to be were probably riveted in.You have to put them back like a chanel about a foot across and the whole way to the gunwales,(the sides).They could be your seats,or you could just bolt some seats to it.You can put some foam inside them too.They can be used for storage spaces too.You can do anything,use your imagination,if it holds water,lol.Livewell?Make things that you are sure that you will use.You don't have too much room for things that you will not use.And use aluminum sheeting to make them,galvanic corrosion otherwise.

fishrdan

Admiral

First, I would check and see if the boat can be registered with the DFG, I assume there is no title for the boat. Out here in NV, no title = no boat, they won't let you title/register a boat of unknown origin.

North Beach

Commander

What state are you in? and throw up a couple of pics and we can go from there.

pstrep

Cadet

I will post some pics of the thing monday night or tuesday. I only have one for now and its just the side view. I will post it but it wont really help I don't think. As for where I live I am in Arizona. From what I hear around is that if you are not using a gas powered motor on the boat you do not need to register it at all. Nice I guess. Although I would like to put one on later on but I do have a 36lb troller that I was going to use. K i'll post the pic soon and again thanks again for all this help.

pstrep

Cadet

Here is the side view of the boat. Still not home yet will be early next week.
Hope this works.

th_NewBoat.jpg

Last edited:

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can you call the boat commission or what ever your state department is that handles the boat reg and run the boat Registration or Hull ID number to track down the PO? If they got rid of it, maybe they have the title. It might be a long shot but I would at least check. Who knows, maybe the thing is hot and who ever dropped it off with you needed to get rid of it...:eek:

These are the stoopid things I think of when it's late at night and every one is asleep except me.:redface:

AOD

Recruit

As for the finish of the aluminum try Busch Aluminum Polish

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I live in Arizona also.You do need to register it with Az. Game and Fish.Everything that I see on the water has tags on it.Even jet skis.You had better call them up and ask.I am not 100% but I am pretty sure.

Huron Angler

Admiral

That's a nice looking hull...pretty high sides it looks like from the small pic:)

Not sure about AZ but in Michigan you need to have all vessels powered by something other than oars/paddles registered. They like the $$$ from out-of-state people that have cottages here or something:rolleyes:

Str8OutTha9c

Seaman Apprentice

Here in Florida, one can re-title as home built on a new hull, or a trashed hull that's completely rebuilt.

pstrep

Cadet

good night all,

well i did check and yes I can title the boat here, it has not been registered here in AZ for over 10 years the lady told me. Good for me it will only cost me $26 total to title. :) they say they need to visually inspect it first just to make sure that the reg. number matches what their records show. probably will do that one night this week before boat comes home for good.

Sorry for the small pic I could not figure out how to make it any bigger. I tried a couple different ways but nuttin worked. I have more pics of the boat to post and will try to make them visible this time. :D

Thanks

pstrep

Cadet

Ok here is the boat inside.

IMG00133-20091019-0856.jpg

A close up of inside bottom.

IMG00134-20091019-0856.jpg

Transom rotting needs replaced.

Transom.jpg

I find this bow cap kind of strange, I dont see why the cuts on either side.

IMG00136-20091019-0857.jpg

And just another general pic of the boat.

IMG00137-20091019-0858.jpg

Hope this works or I will have to try a different camera later on.

Well that sort of worked, on my pc I can click on the picture and see a bigger version of the pic in a new window. Let me know what you guys find.

Thanks

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Looks like it originally had a small bow brace/seat, a middle bench and a bench back by the transom. Nice hull, should cut the water nicely. If you put an outboard on it, I wouldn't go over 15-20 hp...if that much.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Plucked from the crusher. I love it! That's about as close to death as a boat can get before being saved!

pstrep

Cadet

I know huh... The funny part about this whole story is the fact that myself and a few other people had gone camping 2 weeks ago, fishing was obviously included. The bad part was that we had to fish from shore, no boat right, well we talked and said that a couple of us should pitch in and get a small boat. Then on that Monday morning at work as we were discussing how much we wanted to spend, what type , etc. Wouldn't you know as we were talking about all this literally a guy pulls in with this boat to scrap. Coinsidence.......... I think not. So needless to say I am the proud owner of a fixer upper. :D.

Anyway with all that said, I was wandering what anyone thought would be the best thing to start rebuilding the bench seats with. Wood, Alum, ???? The rest should be kind of easy but any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Tinnies from Heaven?;)

If I had access to a large enough metal brake and enough sheet aluminum I'd try to make it from that. Just to keep the weight down and for longevity. If not, time to head to the lumber yard.