convert open bow to cuddy cabin

Hukeedo

Seaman
I got a boat for free that runs, it is a 1981 Glassmate 18 foot tri-hull with a 115 hp outboard.Setup with decks in front and rear for a fishing boat, which I just boat for pleasure anyways. I am a bit of an inventer and like to tinker with things. I want to convert this boat and make a small cuddy cabin for two people in the bow area. I just wonder if anyone has ever done this or tried it. I have some plans in mind and if it don't work out, I have'nt lost anything really, I end up with a nice trailer with a good motor and all the parts on it. I was going to construct the cabin area from marine wood,(1/4 or 3/8) and then laminate it with fiberglass. I would build upwards a bit for some headroom and place the windshield back some and on top of the new deck with an access to the cabin area. I know I could buy one already done, but what fun would that be? Besides, I'm curious to see if it would turn out.
Any ideas or suggestions? Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this and do you think it can be done?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer
Re: convert open bow to cuddy cabin

I'm not saying you can't do it but I wouldn't with a tri-haul. IMO, trade the boat for something that you're after like a small Bayliner cuddy cabin.