Boat taking on water somewhere!!!

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, i bought a 20' Baja from my brother with a cracked block. I put in a new motor from RapidO... Took it out for the first time the other day and the boat ran awsome. I kept checking the engine compartment for leaks and didn't notice anything. Got back to the docks and loaded the boat on the trailer... Bilge kicked on and i looked in and notice a few inches of water in the bottom...

My brother mentioned that he thought it would take on a little water somehow whenever he would back off of beachs. As i was waiting for the trailer to be put in, i had to keep backing up because the wind was blowing me in.

Any ideas where it could be coming in?

Engine is a new 4.3 V6 with an Alpha 1.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat taking on water somewhere!!!

The cracked block would indicate freeze damage so it could be a hose, power steering cooler, water inlet fitting, damaged Y pipe.

havasuboatman

Ensign

It could also be a leak at the place where the deck and hull are mated. Some manufacturers seal and then rivet the two pieces together. Others use fiberglass tabs.
To check this, let your bilge dry, then blast water (from the outside) right at the rub-rail with your garden hose. Then pop the hatch and look for water running down the transom.

Bifflefan

Commander

If it only happens when you back up then it has to be in the transom right?
Id look at the out drive, transom seal and the drain plug area.

As BT said one of the hoses may also do it.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

He said he put int a new engine. I would hope he put in all new hoses as well. That said, if it only happends when backing down, I would guess it is leaking in the seam of the Hull and cap as well. Probably not a big deal and is a common issue with many boat makes... You can seal that seam with 3M 4200 or just not worry much about it and ensue that your bilge pump is working.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Pull the drive and check the bellows.No water in the bellows,no real problem.Make sure there is an automatic float switch on your bildge pump.
Lots of time the fittings around the hardware on the back of the boat the silicone will shrink/crack and leak.Get a GOOD clear silicone and go crazy.
Under the rubrail might need to be siliconed.J

swampy2646

Seaman

water could also be coming in from the seal on your steering arm. when you back down the water rises at the transom. also try putting a couple of buddies on the stern of the boat,(not moving, just for wieight) and look at the transom assembly from inside the boat, if its leaking, you can see it running in.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm gonna check the rub rail this weekend. Pretty sure its not coming from the hoses.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

19 year old outdrive ...... have you checked the shift cable seal and the bellows?

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The weather should be decent Sunday so i might take it out and check out all the tips. Let you guys know what i find out.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well i got the boat out today. Found a small trickle of water coming in from the very bottom of the transom. We were out for about an hour, and the bilge pump didn't even kick on.

I'm gonna try to tighten the bolts on the bottom. Hopefully this will help.

Any other suggestion that i should do?

Bondo

Staff member

Found a small trickle of water coming in from the very bottom of the transom.

Ayuh,..
If that Is where it's leaking, tightening the transom shield bolts probably Won't work,+ may cause bigger Issues...
Those bolts Don't just loosen up,... It's Usually the sign of a Rotten Transom...

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sure wouldn't thing it would be rotted by looking at it... Is there a seal that could need replaced?

Attachments

• boat9.JPG
    boat9.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat10.JPG
    boat10.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Like I said,... IF it's leaking between the transom shield,+ the Transom,...
It's Most likely the wood, Inside the transom that's Rotten....

There is an oring seal on the outside of the transom, in the transom shield, but it Rarely goes Bad....
You'd have to pull the drive, the motor,+ the transom shield to replace it,...
'course,... You'll have to do that to replace the Rotten wood as well....

Personally,....
I'd take the time to Verify Exactly where it's leaking before jumping to conclusions....
It could be leaking higher up,+ Appear to be leaking lower down....

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

did you check you shift cable bellows too? do you have a y pipe or thru hull? the y pipe seal could have let go

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Checked the bellows and shift cable... They r fine. I have no thru hull exhaust.

Thanks for the help guys!

djm

Recruit

A similar thing happened to my 2000 baja. It was always bone dry except after launching/retrieving. Turned out that the trim tab hydraulic lines were not sealed. The holes sat above the water line, except when on the trailer backed in the water, then it trickled in steadily.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I've gotta go with Bond-o on this one. While the transom LOOKS nice on the outside... (and it DOES look nice. ;) ) ... I would lay money that the transom is soft with water damage. You can use the handle of a screwdriver and tap around at various places. It will usually sound "hollow" in places if there is rot. You can also use a small drill inside and drill a few exploratory holes down low. If the sawdust is dry, then you're good -- if it is wet... then time to rebuild the transom.

knoell3

Seaman Apprentice

Where is your bildge pump discharge outlet? I have a 17' Lowe bass boat that the previous owner put a Mariner 90 on (too much motor). As a result the discharge outlet/hole rides about 1/2" above the water line because of the heavier motor. Anytime myself or someone moves to that side of the boat, in comes water through the outlet. I formulated a very complex solution....."I stuck a cork in the bildge pump outlet". Problem solved.

Chris

livin4real

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lol, last post before yours was 5 months ago, prolly not going to get a response from him ;)