disconnect vro to prevent engine damage?

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i have a 93 200hp evinrude ocean pro on a hydrasport. have no problems with any of it. keep hearing and reading it is a good thing to do away with vro and premix into tank. to prevent engine failure due to lean oil conditions. does the vro use more or less oil depending on rpm. any input appreciated.

DocShock

Cadet
Re: disconnect vro to prevent engine damage?

This has been covered extensively multiple times, but, in my opinion, you have to read the pros and cons of each route and make your own decision. My 87 140 the VRO worked great, BUT water got into the resovoir, and oil floats on water, so water was pumped with the gas and that makes short life for a motor...
A properly maintained VRO pump (diaphram inspected and replaced as needed) is critical, and of course being sure water does not get into your resovoir.
My current rig is pre mix (85 140) with a 40 gallon tank, and I almost wish I had the VRO pump still hooked up cause its a pain to premix 40 gallons on the water...
The VRO system works great, and does not fail often, usually it is neglect, or like in my situation water getting in there or some other problem that leads to failure. The pump is not like Mecury pumps, as there is no gears, etc, it just a diaphragm in there...but like I said, premix can sometimes be kind of a pain...just my .02:)

noelm

keep it on, look after it and enjoy your boating, and yes, the oil ratio is more or less depending on speed.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Not sure if that year had a VRO or an OMS system. If VRO It will vary the oil ratio depending on RPM. If OMS it will deliver a constant 50 to 1 ratio as far as I know. I changed from VRO to premix purely on the price of a replacement pump and the peace of mind that as long as I mixed the oil correctly then it would be getting the correct lubrication. I either mix my own before putting it in the tank or add the oil before a fuel nozzle gets near it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is a misconception, on VRO. there first was the VRO pump, then VRO 2 pump. these both proved problematic. there now is the OMS pump, as long as the system is properly maintained, it has proven to be a good system.

junior1113

vro 2. also is this a crossflow

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I think it is a looper

bktheking

Vice Admiral

IMO VRO is garbage or any mix system for that matter. And this is just my opinion but why rely on some pump to keep your motor alive. I'd rather know that my motor is getting the right amount of oil because I mixed it myself when I filled up the boat, lets face it, measuring 400ml of oil and adding it to the tank is a 30 second process, people act as if it's a massive PITA. If it had some kind of redundant pump then sure great system but they don't, they have a warning system that is a crap shoot to begin with, sensors and alarms fail, mixing doesn't. VRO dies, alarm doesn't go off for whatever reason and your eight thousand dollar motor is destroyed all because the pump was supplied by the lowest bidder. I agree with the opinon that the system vro, vro2 or oms is reliable, until the person who ownes that motor loses it to a failed system, opinons will change quickly. I've never lost my weed eater to a failed pump, my chainsaw, my lawn boy lawnmower or anything else 2 stroke for that matter.

glorywagon

Cadet

IMO VRO is garbage or any mix system for that matter. And this is just my opinion but why rely on some pump to keep your motor alive. I'd rather know that my motor is getting the right amount of oil because I mixed it myself when I filled up the boat, lets face it, measuring 400ml of oil and adding it to the tank is a 30 second process, people act as if it's a massive PITA. If it had some kind of redundant pump then sure great system but they don't, they have a warning system that is a crap shoot to begin with, sensors and alarms fail, mixing doesn't. VRO dies, alarm doesn't go off for whatever reason and your eight thousand dollar motor is destroyed all because the pump was supplied by the lowest bidder. I agree with the opinon that the system vro, vro2 or oms is reliable, until the person who ownes that motor loses it to a failed system, opinons will change quickly. I've never lost my weed eater to a failed pump, my chainsaw, my lawn boy lawnmower or anything else 2 stroke for that matter.

Well how did you convert it over ??What kind of fuel pump? and how much oil do you mix in your oil ?? Thanks Danny

bktheking

Vice Admiral

My 50hp vro was already converted, the PO disconnected the pump, capped where the vro went into the engine and ran mix.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

on the 200 hp i recommend this pump, designed just for the conversion of higher HP motors.

Vro Replacement Fuel Pump Kit "no Oil"
(for Using Oil/gas Pre-mix In Fuel Tank)

#5007422 it is in the $300 range.