Zodiac MKIII GR Questions

Alangaq

Cadet
Hi guys. New to the forum, new to boating, and new to inflatable?s, but have been poking around here for some time searching the forum for info.

I have a new to me, but well used 15? Zodiac MKIII GR Model 3432 with aluminum floors and a month, year, model code of L586.

The intended use for this boat (I live in AK) is for a once a year fly-out moose / bear hunt (two guys), and perhaps 4 or 5 summer day / fishing trips with the family (5 total, wife, me, 2,4,6 year old boys) out of Seward, Homer, Deep Creek, or Whittier, weather permitting, and never out of sight of land (not exactly comfortable with ?big? water).

I purchased this as part of a package deal along with a trailer, two piece full length top, ores, anchor, and a 1985 Johnson 25hp short shaft motor for $1500, figuring that even if I needed to put another $500 each into the boat and motor, that I would still be way ahead money wise versus a new boat and motor, that start out around $6500 up here. Everything has been sitting in an unheated shed, all wrapped and bagged up for at least 10 years. That said, It looks to be in pretty good shape with only a few patches. The wood on the transom is perfect but the finish is chipped or flaking in a number of areas and will need to be sanded and have some new spar varnish applied. The two forward wooden cross beams (I don?t know what they are called) do not have any rot, however their finish is almost non existent and will need to be refinished somehow. Question: what are these cross beams called, and what are they for? I do know that the aft one, is were the forward most aluminum floor board attaches.

Additionally there is a trapezoid shaped wooden floor board with a hole in it that looks like it should fit up in the front of the boat, across or between the two wooden cross beams but it has three 1? x 1? pieces of wood attached to the bottom of it, that seems to prevent it from sitting, or fitting in between the two cross beams. It just doesn?t seem to fit worth a darn anywhere, and I cant figure it out?

I have inflated the boat, however I have not had a chance to soap it up and find the leaks. It looses perhaps 20-25% of the air pressure overnight and takes about a dozen or so pumps (each side) to firm it back up with the crappy foot pump I have. I am not especially worried about leaks or patching as I will be taking it in to Alaska Raft and Kayak and have those guys give it a good once over and fix anything that needs fixing, but they did tell me that they have no experience with the style of valves that are on this boat.
The valves are a rather large (hand size) chrome plated affair (four each) and they are REALLY stiff and hard to rotate. So, what can be done to loosen them up? Can I lube them with something?

A couple more questions:

From the data plate (L586) this looks to be a 1986 Zodiac, which I believe would make it a Hypolon boat, and not the newer PVC based ?strongam, strongarm, strongman? or what ever the proprietary name is. Can anyone confirm this?
There are two holes on the lower aft transom, and I know one is supposed to be the self bailing hole and the other the drain hole, but I don?t know which is which. They both appear to have some sort of gasket or valve in them.

Thanks in advance for your input and assistance!

Alangaq

Cadet
Re: Zodiac MKIII GR Questions

38 views and not one response? Listen folks, I know absolutely nothing about inflatable?s, so if your reading this post and are a forum member, you probably know at least twice as much as I do!:D

I?d be really happy with some guesses! Heck I would even be willing to except a plausible lie! Anything at all would be great! Don?t be shy; I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!
:D

pabble

Cadet

Hi....I read your post and have been looking for an old manual I had for a GR III but haven't been able to find it. for full info I suggest contacting some of the people offering these boats for sale online these days....found many just now in a google search. Also, you will find very helpful people on the rib.net forum - just found several threads there that should be very helpful for you. In the meantime here are some comments on the points your raise.

- if the boat has been folded for years and subject to extremes of temperature then you may first want to check to see if there is overall glue failure, which can happen with a boat of this age stored this way. The problem is that you may be able to fix leaks that show up initially but after inflation and some use more and more keep occurring....which can be very frustrating and expensive. If I were you I would inflate the boat until the tubes are quite firm in an area of fairly constant temperature such as a heated garage. squirt some dishwashing soap into a bucket of water (don't stir it...avoid bubbles) and soak a cloth with the liquid and apply it to every area of the boat....especially folds, joints, creases and the most hard to see spots such as where the tubes meet the bottom fabric inside the hull. as you're doing this look for big or little bubbles and listen for the sound of air escaping. go slowly and cover small areas at a time to be sure you don't miss a spot. pay particular attention to the valves...these are often the source of leaks and are a relatively easy fix. put soap around the base and all over them in every position. this should reveal all external air leaks and give an idea of the scope of work to be done. note whether they are where the boat was folded and/or where there are high wear points such as where the floorboards meet.

In any case, don't attempt to put any floorboards in until leaks are fixed and the boat has sat fully inflated for at least a couple of days (the folds and creases relax and it regains it's true shape). forcing floorboards into place prematurely can increase leaks or create new ones...let the fabric stretch to it's maximum..the flooboards are designed to fit very tightly.

-the fabric is definitely hypalon.

-the trapezoid piece fits forward of the larger floorboards and the small wood pieces hold it in place when the boat is properly inflated. you will know it's in the right place when the inflation valve for the keel is positioned in the hole. It's a tight fit, but that's desireable because it maintains the rigidity of the boat underway.

-do you have the stringers for the sides of the floorboards to lock them in place?

- the valves are good ones - you will probably need to take them apart for servicing and to check the flexible parts for deterioration. it can be done with little difficulty (essentially, they unscrew).

I'm running out of time this morning to describe the process or get into your other points but I urge you to post your question on rib.net....lots of technical knowledge there and someone will most likely have everything you might need. best of luck...they're great boats!

bryan

Alangaq

Cadet

thanks Bryan,

good info and I apreciate it! will also give the boys a shout on the other forum. they look to be mostly Brits! could come in handy for my next trip over on business.....;)