timing on a mercruiser 165

gatorgut_16

Cadet
i just recently rebuilt my engine. as i was taking it apart i marked the timing gears with a marker, but the marker rubbed off, ans i cant find the dots that the book says are there. how can i make sure the engine is timed right? there are no marks what so ever. ugh:mad: any insight will be helpful. thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: timing on a mercruiser 165

What Year???
Is this the 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder 165 ?????????

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If its the 4cyl it would be 4 degrees btdc

Don S

He's not looking for timing marks to set the distributor, he's looking for marks on the gears for the timing chain or gears for the cam and crankshaft timing.

gatorgut_16

Cadet

its the chevy 250 c.i. l6. i have the crankshaft at tdc but im not quite sure about the cam shaft. i have a picture in my manual that shows the crankshaft at tdc and the "GM" logo printed on the cam shaft gear at the top of the gear. b.t.w. its in a 1973 grady white cuddy cabin, and from what im told its the origianl engine

Don S

There should be an indented line or dot on a tooth of the crankshaft gear, and an indented dot between two teeth on the cam gear.
Since you rebuilt it, did you by some chance turn the crankshaft gear so the dot is facing the engine and you can't see it?
If there is no mark on the cam or crankshaft gear, replace both with ones that do have them.

fishrdan

Admiral

I found this pic while looking for some engine pics, hope it helps.

timingmarksmall.jpg

gatorgut_16

Cadet

i found that picture yesterday. and yes it did help. i got the timing problem taken care of now. lol thank you. but now i have another question.
when i rebuilt the engine i ordered a crankshaft kit, it is a remanfactured crank with all bearings included.... heres the problem. as i was putting the connecting rod bearings in the engine would get tighter and tighter and more difficult to rotate. to the point of me breaking a rubber mallet trying to rotate the crank. and i broke 2 good size bolts in the harmonic balancer with an open end wrench trying to turn the crank. i looked into it, the crank kit came with .040 bearings, and apparently they were to big or thick. i dont know.... so i ordered .030 bearings and put them in.... all is good. i thnink.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I responded to you other post about the bearings.