first boat, need advice !!

rweboard67

Seaman Apprentice
just purchased a 1972 glastron v156 with a mercury thunderbolt 65hp that i was told by the owners was last run in 2004-05. oil/gas mix. they said not use the fuel in the existing gas can. what is winterizing the motor, i was told i would need to do this.. thanks

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: first boat, need advice !!

first of all, remove any old fuel from the tank and start with fresh. Next, take it to a mechanic to have the carburators cleaned and overhauled if necessary. Have the mechanic check for any old rubber hoses and other seals that need replacing. Heck, just have the mechanic go thru the whole engine for preventive maintenance while you're at it and possibly change the lower unit oil and check it for pressure to test those seals as well. Also replace the water pump.

Why do I recommend all this? My first boat sat up for years before I purchased it. The gas tank was full of crud. I had a faulty water pump that caused the motor to overheat and $800 to repair. Later I had the rubber over-pressure relief or some kind of do-hiky pop and rain water all over the engine. Next, the primer bulb quit working. I babied the wiring with liquid rubber as the insulation crumbled off. After working all the kinks out, I enjoyed fishing, but initially it was a gamble at the ramp for a few trips.

rweboard67

Seaman Apprentice

thank you much for the reply. there is a whole lot i need to learn !! i just need to figure out what you said : ).. this is brand new to me and i will need the winter to start learning so i will be ok for spring.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Have your mechanic do your winterization as well. Then, get the service and repair manual for you engine and read it this winter learn. Also, stay on iboats and read all you can. You can learn a ton and do not be afraid to ask. People here are eager to help and share what they have learned. But, things are easier to explain if you have some idea what is being said. So, get the manuals and get a little knowledge gain started... Have fun...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it doesn't EVER freeze where you live you don't need to "winterize". If it does freeze you need to change the lower unit lube and watch for any water that comes out during the draining. If there is water present, there is evidence of either the drain or vent plug gaskets need replacement (do this with every change) or the lower unit needs to be resealed by a dependable shop. Fogging is a process where special spray lubricant is sprayed into the carburetor of a running engine to coat the internals prior to winter layup. If the layup period is just a couple of months (3-4) that is not necessary. Adding a fuel stabilizer like SeaFoam or Stabil is essential to prevent the fuel from going bad and varnishing up the fuel system and carbs. Add the stabilizer and run the engine until you are sure the treated fuel has reached the carbs. Charge the battery periodically over the winter.

rweboard67

Seaman Apprentice

again thanks a whole lot, seems taking the boat to a mechanic is the best option. with that being said, as for the boat it looks like it has all the factory parts on her. i was able to get a picture of the boat from an old ad from a magazine on the web, looks exact. i will assume the motor is about as old as the boat and looks very clean just some lite dust on the outside. the boat like i said was not used much over the past 6 yrs and used last time in 04-05, its been garaged ! now i feel at the mercy of a mechanic, the previous owners said alot of good things about the boat and gave me no hint that i was going to have a problem.. other than just do not use the existing fuel. we will see. i hope she starts right up because we are in love with her... again thanks so much !!!