Winterizing and Kicker/Trolling Motor Questions

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class
2 questions. First, I just bought this mint condition 1998 Trophy 2503 Center Console with a 1998 Mercury EFI 225 Offshore 2 stroke motor. My understanding is that other than changing the lower unit oil, treating the gas that is run through it and fog oiling the cylinders, all I have to do is let the water drain well from the cooling system. Does all the water even drain from the impeller? Or should I run anti freeze into the cooling system to be sure?
Second, as you can see in the picture, the original owner set up 2 4 stroke 15hp kicker motors on the transom, which he used for trolling. One is a 1999 and the other is a 2002. I assume he got one then added the other. I expect to do very little trolling and just keep one motor on there as a kiccker should I get stuck. Can anyone think of why I should keep both on there? I would think it would even troll just fine with one of them. Thanks ahead of time :)

Attachments

• trophy5web[1].jpg
    trophy5web[1].jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterizing and Kicker/Trolling Motor Questions

Heck no I wouldn't keep both. I'd sell one of them. A newer 4 stroke like those should be worth around a grand.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

sell both of them and get sea tow or similliar towing insurance,,no need for the extra weight on the transom,,when you can put extra $ in your pocket.
don't bother with the anti freeze,,make sure motor is all the way down to drain,,,no worries.

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One is coming off for sure. I often fish close to shore and regardless of Seatow, if the main motor breaks I would rather have a way to keep the boat from getting pounded on the shore, if not to get back. Plus if I ever do choose to use the dowriggers I have an easy way to troll around. I have seen this same boat with dual 175 hp motors. I am sure the 225 with a 15 hp kicker will be ok.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

True,,your call,,,best of luck and tight lines..:D