89 5.0 Power Steering Pump - Find Part

BRYBURTON

Seaman
Hello, can anyone help me find a cheap power steering pump that might come with studs and the pulley? The new Mercruiser part is over $500. I know you can buy the "almost exact" same part at an auto retailer for about $50. I did this in fact, but it did not come with studs or a pulley. I tried my old studs, but they were not the same threads. I also tried to put my old pulley on the new pump, but that did not work out either (first attempt I think it is out of align - I forced it on and now it won't come off). Here is a link to the mercruiser part...

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/1014/380.cfm

I am just looking for the auto power steering pump that will work with its own studs and pulley.

Thanks for any help...

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 89 5.0 Power Steering Pump - Find Part

an automotive pump will not work without being crafty. Automotive pumps run much higher pressure than the Merc pumps do. You need to swap the valve body (assuming its still good) over to the automotive pump (assuming you have a compatable body).
Why did your old pump die? Did you have a leaking cooler and get water in the system?

BRYBURTON

Seaman

First) What is the valve body? Is it numbered on the link from my first post?
Second) The pulley locked up and melted the belt. That is how I knew it died. When I took it off, it had no fluid.

I've ruined the studs from my old pump and possibly the pulley. That is partly why I am looking for an auto pump that comes with studs and pulley.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

The valve body is internal to the pump (although removable if you know how to do it). It regulates the pressures the pump puts out to the rack. The reason the Merc pump is more expensive is because the valving is different. (because they don't make as many valve bodies compared to the automotive counterpart, they are more expensive)
No it is not listed in the parts diagrams, it is not a part you can order seperately.
Your best bet is bringing both pumps to a hydraulic shop and see if they can do anything with it for 150 bucks.

BRYBURTON

Seaman

Thanks for the advice, although it still doesn't solve the problem with the studs and the pulley. When I introduced this topic 3 months ago, everyone told me "It's simple, just get an auto power steering pump". I did this. I bought the pump and spent 7 hours grunting and straining with wrenches before finally giving up.

Here is my description of those 7 hours + 3 months with a mechanic. Skip to the end if you don't feel like reading it.

I took the studs out of the bad pump. This was a nightmare in itself because there is hardly anything to get a hold of to take the studs out. I took the pulley off the old pump - no problem. I put the old pulley on the new pump. This took a while and a lot of muscle because I had no idea how far the pulley would go on. I kept thinking it would bottom out, but the more I strained, the farther it went on the shaft. I put the old studs in the new pump. Again, because there was hardly anything to get a hold of on the studs, this was very difficult. To make matters worse, the threads on the studs did not match the new pump. I managed to force them in with a lot more straining and grunting to the point they were flush. I started to put the pump back in and one of the studs just broke. Here I am 7 hours later with a pump that won't mount. I give up. I call a local mechanic and tell him my story and say I think I ruined the new pump - get a new one. He says he knows this place in town that will have the pump with the pulley and possibly the studs. One month later it isn't fixed. Two months later he says he almost has it figured out, he'll call me the next day and it should be ready. Another month goes by and he won't return my calls. I finally make it by his house and say I want my boat back. The boat looks like crap because it has been sitting out in the weather for 3 months. So here I am ready to start over.

I think I will just dip into my savings for $600.
$500-$550 for a mercruiser pump.
$50-$100 for labor by a different mechanic.

I hope this helps someone out who plans to replace a power steering pump on an 89 5.0 Mercruiser. I believe the 4.3 Mercruiser pump is the same part. Good Luck.