New Boat New Problems

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Long story short I have developed the rep locally as a "buyer" of pretty much anything and everything. Mostly shooting related items, cars trucks, boats, bikes etc. Anyways I had a guy call me needing to get rid of a rifle. We both agreed that $400 was a fare amount and I told him that Im not needing it but would find a buyer and keep the difference. Well a few days before that I had a guy call me with a 1980 Glastron that he needed gone over the winter and was wanting to trade for something new instead of selling it. Well knowing that the guy owned a shooting range for a living I put two and two together and made a deal that everyone was happy with. The boat owner got a new rifle and I payed the rifle owner the $400. Turns out it is a near mint 1980 Glastron with I believe a 1996 Mercury 80hp outboard. Everything has been babied and you can tell for its age. No cracking or torn up vinyl, the hull shines up like new and not a single scratch that I can find. With that said I knew I would be receiving the boat with some bagage. He said that the boat runs great in the water but as soon as you get up to say 10mph the engine revs but the boat tops out. He seems to think that it is the shifting cable which doesnt sound right to me but I really dont know. Personally it sounds like he may have a spun hub. To reinforce my theory he had told me that previously the new stainless prop he had was stolen and the current prop was a old one his brother in law gave him. I described the symptoms of a spun hub and he admitted that the issues arrived right about the same time he put the old prop on. Either way the current prop is in obvious need of replacement. Would work as a spare if the hub is ok but thats it. Lots of chew & bite marks from hitting who knows what. On my Wellcraft I know I can put it in drive and turn the prop (not the shaft) by hand when the hub is spun. I tried this and yes the prop does spin with some force but the shaft does as well. Any advice would be awesome!!!!!! Either way here are some pics. For the price I have no complaints and knew the boat had some issues when I bought it.

CIMG0402.jpg

CIMG0406.jpg

CIMG0403.jpg

CIMG0409.jpg

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: New Boat New Problems

WOW:) has that thing ever been in water?

woosterken

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well the motor is nowehere near a '96 but still very nice! Good luck with it.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the motor is nowehere near a '96 but still very nice! Good luck with it.
You are correct... I just got it home last night and had no time to play with it. Looked up the serial number today and it looks like it is a 1981. Don't think the guy was trying to mislead me cause he didn't seem to know for sure either. He said he was going off what he was able to find online. He got the boat from his brother who got it from his father who got it from who knows who. The boat being a 1980 it would make since that the outboard would be a 81. Im guessing its been on there since the get go.

d_saum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice looking boat! Congrats on the deal! Yep.. sounds like a spun hub. I had that same problem with my old Bayliner. Best of luck with it and keep us posted! :D

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Looking at the pic with the peice missing on the prop, Ya I can see why it might be a spun hub. Nice boat, Good trade.