volvo penta 230a motor problems

dbanks486

Recruit
im new to the boating world and well i bought a boat 1991 17' glastron with 230a sp/a drive; used it for this summer and found that it had a blown head gasket and the head is warped. my motor was not really taken care of before me and well, im worried about how much cash this motor could end up costing me. well my question is can i swap parts from a 1979 glastron with a rebuilt AQ130c and 270 drive? would it be better to completely swap out motors, can i use the same drives? should i just try and machine the head? your opinions are greatly appreciated...

thanks, daniel

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: volvo penta 230a motor problems

Cheaper to machine the heads. That's plural. I strongly recommend that you do both heads. If the head warped, it's because the engine got hot a some point. You wilol hate yourself if you just do the one, and the other fails, screwing up another season.

dbanks486

Recruit

the 230a is a 4cyl and only has one head....right?

captmello

Captain

I think the 230 engine would be perfered by most, however both were dependable in thier day. Very different as well.How do the pistons and bores look? Change the timing belt while you're in there. Did the boat overheat on you?

If you need manuals, they're up in the Adults only thread at the top of the I/O forum. Thanks to Don.:D

dbanks486

Recruit

so i wouldnt be able to maybe switch out the heads from the 230a from the AQ130c? would i be able to use the 270c drive? i'm just asking because a freind has a AQ130c completely rebuilt but all taken apart and a 270c drive rebuilt. should i just rebuild the AQ130c and put it in my boat or just do the timing belt and head on the 230a?
thanks, daniel

dbanks486

Recruit

the boat was running great and then i took it out one weekend and it wouldnt start; i replaced the starter and had the carb rebuilt, new wires and plugs; just general stuff. i havent checked the oil in some time and well it was clear that water has gotten in there- that means head gasket right? then my friend told me that the head might be warp alittle (he's a car /diesel mechanic). the boat still runs but only at 2,000 rpms.

Maclin

Admiral

Usually cheaper when all things are considered to rebuild what is there. Have the block's cooling system pressure checked though to make sure it is sound and not cracked which could be a source for the water in the oil.

captmello

Captain

Maclin is right, before you tear the engine apart, you should run some test to narrow down your issues. Can you tell if its antifreeze or water in the oil?
can you smell antifreeze in the oil?

How about the oil level, is it way up? I'd also pull the spark plugs and have a look at them. If you don't know what you're looking for, post some pics.