alumacraft 16 model K help needed

joemook

Cadet
just picked up an ancient 16 foot k model with an ancient sportsmen trailer--the steering console bolts to gunwhales and is across the whole boat in the back so the captain is isolated from the rest of boat and is in his own little cockpit--with the windshield it looks like a small cigarette boat--it looks cool as heck---also has a bow plate across top of front---i am working on pictures --were console and bow cover which are aluminum and same age standard or options?---here is where i really need some advice--the drain plug is a through the bottom contraption that really leaks--i took it apart and the hole is not a perfect circle-there is a small square shaped piece of bottom missing that is maybe part of the plug system or maybe it just broke away--the rubber stopper on the brass plug system is worn away--it has a cross handle that you push down or pull up--there is no spring in this plug like the old alumacraft ihave at the cottage--anyone know much about the plug on a k model--should the hole in boat be perfect circle?--thanks much-dont even need this boat but i luv it and am going to make her my new baby

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: alumacraft 16 model K help needed

Joe that sounds like a real gem of an old tin can you've got:D

I'd pull that old drain and just install a new one...use 3M 5200 marine sealant to make sure the new one won't leak. The new plugs aren't too expensive.

What is the hull rated for as far as HP?

Post some pics if ya get a chance we'd like to see the boat:)

Oh...also...welcome to iboats and the tin can club!

joemook

Cadet

thanks for the reply huron angler--you maybe right on a new plug--it is rated for a 25 horse--the boat was upside down since 1982 and i picked it up for 300 with the sportsmen trailer--the spotlight on this boat is awesome-turn by hand -really ancient--the stern light screws in to a bracket and telescopes and has to be original by the type of glass on it--no plastic on this old lady--wait till those old folks up in northwest ontario see this baby flying down my lake--its going to bring back memories for them

Huron Angler

Admiral

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense_One_Way_Safety_Plug/dm/*******.762285623--**********.166247797--view_id.237498

This is a plug for $3(US) from iboats. They have several available pretty cheap. That spotlight sounds sweet as well as the exclusive captains helm in the aft area.

Still looking forward to seeing some photos, sounds like a very unique vessel to say the least. You will be giving people a flashback/double-take...are you looking for an old OMC 25hp that matches the year? That would be sweet.

Wetteland

Cadet

Joemook
I also have a K. I have a 1957 K with no drain plug. my boat did not have one. I'm wondering if your boat had one added on or if it came like this. Give us all some photos please:). Good luck with the Boat you will love it. I have a 2000 25 hp merc on my K and she will do 32mph. I run my K on the Mississippi and the Saint Croix river in Minnesota and have no problems with all the big boat wakes. Have fun!!!!!!
Eric Wetteland

joemook

Cadet

looks original to me--a brass tripod with a brass rod that slides up and down with a T HANDLE--HOLE IS BOTTOM OF BOAT---USED TO BE A RUBBER PLUG THREADED ON THE TIP OF ROD--PICTURES WILL BE COMING WHEN THEY FIX MY PRINTER

Joemook
I also have a K. I have a 1957 K with no drain plug. my boat did not have one. I'm wondering if your boat had one added on or if it came like this. Give us all some photos please:). Good luck with the Boat you will love it. I have a 2000 25 hp merc on my K and she will do 32mph. I run my K on the Mississippi and the Saint Croix river in Minnesota and have no problems with all the big boat wakes. Have fun!!!!!!
Eric Wetteland

Eric, what pitch prop are you running on that 25?