two batteries or one?

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a spectrum 1700 1989 Force 85hp ob. I have one battery install it is a Autocraft DC24-1 130 min/75AH. I notice that it is a deep cycle battery as this is the first time I open it since I got it a month ago. I have a few questions.

1) Should I use a "Starter" battery instead of this deep cycle battery for getting my boat start. I do have difficulty getting it cold start.

2) I have a trolling motor. Can I hook it up to this deep cycle battery and the OB at the same time. I don't use the trolling motor much maybe 2 hours most each trip.

3) If i do need to get a different battery for the trolling motor. can I use the deep cycle for the trolling and get a starter battery for the OB?

4) if I need to have 2 battery, how do i hood it up to ensure that both battries are being charge when I run the OB?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: two batteries or one?

For an OB you can easily get by with a deep discharge battery, I use one to start a 7.4L V8!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I suggest a starting battery for your outboard and a Deep Cycle for trolling and accessories.

You should also get a dual battery switch. It will have a diagram with it to show you how to wire them up. Startign battery on Batt 1 and deep cycle on Batt 2...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

NEVER run a trolling motor off the engine starting battery because the troller draws 40 amps or more and will run down the battery to the point where you cannot start the engine. Use the deep cycle you have now for the troller. Add a new marine starting battery for the engine. The engine does not have enough reserve charging capacity for both batteries so add a 6 amp on-board charger for the deep cycle battery and charge it up after every use by pugging into house power at the dock. You do not need a dual battery switch because of the lack of charging capability.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I will get a new starter battery. By the way if the engine does not have enough reserve charging capacity for both batteries. It does have for the starter battery right? I will only use the deep cycle battery for trolling. thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yes -- the engine will keep the starting battery topped off provided you are not running killer stereo systems, spot lights, and bunch of other high current draw accessories.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you give me a ok battery brand for the starter battery. I am thinking aobut getting a smaller one since it is just for starting the engine. I am see basspro shop selling some onboard chager that hook up to the OB for charging. can I get that and chage two battery at the same time?