Bravo 3 gear lube loss

Vinnie B

Recruit
Purchased a boat that has a new Mercruiser Bravo 3 outdrive which was installed in August 2008; the unit had been used for only 2 hours with the new outdrive at the time of purchase. The gear lube container emptied from the point of purchase to my dock, approximately 1 hour. I was told there may be air voids in the line and this was normal. After adding 3 quarts of lube oil, I had the unit pressure and vacuum tested for leaks and the tests indicated the unit was okay. There is no oil in the bilge, and there was no oil in the gimbel housing when the outdrive was removed for testing. Also, there is no sign of oil in the water. I only lose oil while underway. After the test, I am still continuing to lose gear lube. Where is the oil going (through the prop perhaps), and what is the fix?

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: Bravo 3 gear lube loss

Purchased a boat that has a new Mercruiser Bravo 3 outdrive which was installed in August 2008; the unit had been used for only 2 hours with the new outdrive at the time of purchase. The gear lube container emptied from the point of purchase to my dock, approximately 1 hour. I was told there may be air voids in the line and this was normal. After adding 3 quarts of lube oil, I had the unit pressure and vacuum tested for leaks and the tests indicated the unit was okay. There is no oil in the bilge, and there was no oil in the gimbel housing when the outdrive was removed for testing. Also, there is no sign of oil in the water. I only lose oil while underway. After the test, I am still continuing to lose gear lube. Where is the oil going (through the prop perhaps), and what is the fix?
Yes it more then likely the prop shaft seal, I have seen 2 of these do this same varry thing from brand new, And the oil will only come out while under way, You can see the oil bottle drop at a varry fast rate while under way only, I bet if you turned the prop shaft with the pressure gauge still hooked up you might lose the pressure in the drive.;):eek::) Have them do a new prop shaft seal no matter what, That alway's fixed it for us. Good luck with it.

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Bravo 3 gear lube loss

Uuum, yeah I am with boat teck. Cause needing to add 3 quarts is not normal, considering the drive only holds just under 2 quarts!!!!