What's the maximum RPM?

johnv100

Cadet
Hello, noobie here. I've never owned a boat before. Last month, my brother and I bought a 22" 1987 Chris Craft with a V6 Mercruiser. We took it out this morning in Santa Cruz and it ran good. At 2000 RPM and the engine was really noisy, it ran about 25 MPH. I wonder what is the maximum RPM the engine can take. Please advise. Any other tips will be much appreciated. Thanks.

fuzzybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What's the maximum RPM?

John, welcome to iboats. Max rpm will be 4800. The best tip I could give you would be to go to the "Adults Only" sticky at the top of the forum and read it all!!! While there you can download the OEM service manual for your 4.3. You may as well get the service manual for your outdrive too. Best of luck with your new boat.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Did it read more or was that the max?At 2000 rpm and 25mph.sounds like the tach might not be reading right.Get a clip on tach and make sure that it is right.
Do a compression test too.Post your results.J

johnv100

Cadet

Thank you. So I guess it's safe to rev the engine up to 4800 RPM without killing it. Just wondering what is the average RPM do you rev it to when you're cruising.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Running it wide open will cost$$$$. Do you have a 4bbl carb?Usually around 3600-3800 just before the second stage opens.J