4.80 x 8 wheels - what is top speed?

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a boat that weighs about 350# when fully loaded for fishing. I have a trailer for it with 4.80 x 8 wheels, and I'm wondering what the top speed is for these wheels.

Frankly, my biggest fear is that I'm going to be on the interstate running 60-65mph and the wheels burn off the trailer . . .

I did replace the wheel bearings, so they're not the issue, it's the size of the tires.

Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4.80 x 8 wheels - what is top speed?

Well, at that speed, those little wheels are winging around at a good clip. If the bearings are in good condition and properly lubricated, there should not be a worry there. And the tire diameter is so small that centrifugal force is probably about the same as on larger tires. So the only real worry is heat and tire condition. If the tires are properly inflated, there will not be too much heat build-up especially with the light load you will be carrying. SO: Age of the tires is the real worry.

I have however run the Pennsylvania and Jersey turnpikes 140 miles at those speeds with about a 1000 pound load. The tires were old and dry-rotted and I did blow out two. However, on the way home, with new tires, I covered the same distance with no problems.

Note that even my big Caulkins with 3900 pound capacity and 15 inch tires recommends a towing speed no higher than 45. I generally run about 55 with it on the open highway.

NHGuy

Captain

Just make sure you have highway service tires. To identify you just want to read the fine print on the tire sidewalls and make sure it does not say NHS which stands for Not for Highway Service. If you are concerned bring along one of those laser pointer thermometers and check them as you go along.
I wouldn't worry though, your boat is very light. If you know the weight of the loaded boat & trailer you can check that the tires have enough capacity. There is a capacity & pressure label on the tires.

Edit: Most trailer service tires normally have a 65 MPH maximum, but I don't have a lot of exprience with 8" ers.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

I agree. I think the size of the tires is one thing, but not nearly as important as tire condition. I carry a load of about 1000 pounds (trailer plus boat, motor, and gear) and I have no problems with my 12 inch tires. I've traveled a couple trips of 800+ miles at speeds of 60-70 mph with no issue. The tires though are only a year old and have a total of less than 3000 miles on them now.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the help; I do have a bad tire (that still hold pressure, but is leaky). I will replace it.

I don't think I'll be driving farther than 60 miles away, and I'll keep it under 65.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

tire maintainance is the thing to longivity of the tire. never tow the trailer without checking tire pressure. low pressure cause the tire, itself to over heat. always inflate to the recommend pressure on the tire, usually 50 lbs. i have some that are required inflatation to 90 psi.

Jeep Man

Commander

I put over 5000 mi. at highway speeds on my trailer with the same tire and most of the time carrying a similiar weight, without incident. Check your bearings and tires often and keep your tire pressure at 50 lbs + and you'll be fine.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hauled a trailer with about 700lbs from NC to FL at 65-70mph the whole way (600 miles) with no problems. Like mentioned above, tire condition and pressure is critical. Tire heat is hard to read at times depending on the weather. I have had tires that would burn your hand while sitting unmoved in my yard under the hot sun. It is rather costly but tires can be inflated with nitrogen which will help them run cooler.