69 merc 800 ignition maintenance

jake505

Seaman
Hi does anyone know how long the cap and rotor should last on one of these motors with the thunderbolt ignition. Are they just like a cars where you should change it when you do a tune up or do they last a lot longer. At $270 for the rotor and $177 for the cap I am thinking that these should last maybe just a little bit longer:( plus it doesn't look like a really easy job when the distributer shaft and the rotor are one peice.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 69 merc 800 ignition maintenance

I have never seen a cap or rotor that needed to be replaced from normal wear, the carbon brush and spring is usually worn/broken if engine has lot of time or set up. Part #393-1293A1

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

If they aint broke, don't fix em. Check the springs, brush's and button in the cap, thats all.

jake505

Seaman

thanks guys I kinda figured that was the case I was just wondering because I was going to do a full tune up figuring that it was like a car engine till I saw those prices. I hadn't run it for about 6 months because had to get some new controls and replace the impeller and just didn't have the time or cash so when I finally did get it fixed and started it was running a little rough but i think it was just old gas and it needed to be run wot for a little while. took it out the other day and ran great and when I was flushing it after I noticed it was idling a lot better. so I guess these parts do last a while considering these are the originals :D

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

I think thats kinda funny I bought 1972 mercury 800 thunderbolt and thought I would do a tune up also.Figured new cap and rotor and points.I soon learned this is not the same as my truck.I have yet to see a distributor cap and rotor cost more than $50.00.When I called the local Marine shop for a Price quote and told me cap and rotorshaft for around 400 some Dollars.I thought he was kidding but he wasnt:rolleyes:.So I will keep the old one because it does work fine..I had no Idea boat Motor parts were that expensive.I guess I need a second job now if I want to boat..LOL