40 hp tilt assist problems

talley14

Recruit
i have a 1990 johnson 40 hp the tilt assist is not working correctly the cable is functioning correctly but the cylinder is very stiff. i have taken it off and you can move the "piston" with your hands but it is very difficult to get full travel. is there anything i can do to bleed the cylinder or add more fluids or something like that. if not where can i purchase a new one at for a decent price. i do not want to put on an electric tilt and trim because i need the motor to pop up while duck hunting if i hit a log. any info is greatly appreciatedly.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 40 hp tilt assist problems

welcome to iboats!!!

i dont think there is a way to fix them, and a new one is as much as an aftermarket power tnt.

you may be able to find a used one but its a 50/50 chance its gonna be good.

i think they will all kick up to an extent.... it all depends on how fst you are goin.

if you want something to protect your eng they make a set back that has a spring activated release.... but its only good up to 5mph.

here is a link to cabelas breakaway http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/c...cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form1 ......... you may be able to get it on iboats cheaper if you go tothe parts section

you can get a factory replacement here http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=9c60db3eafc1f4b20ccd2da688b6ec1c ..... but its $428

talley14

Recruit

thank you for the response, even if i was not to fond of the answer( alot of money) one more question for you, if i am going to have to replace the HYDRAULIC cylinder anyway do you think there is a way to replace it with a GAS cylinder like on the new yamaha 40's just a thought because from what i have found out it seems these hydraulic cylinders have alot of problems.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

possibly but you would have to fabricate mounts. i personally would find a t n t unit for it.

you are correct the assist tilt system is the downfall of these motors.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

possibly but you would have to fabricate mounts. i personally would find a t n t unit for it.

you are correct the assist tilt system is the downfall of these motors.

I think they should class action johnson for this, I had two motors so far with this bad assist also.

The 40 is so hard to lift without the assist working. I installed a piece of pipe down near the prop and a bumper just under the cowl. I would use a long bent bar as a lever to lift the motor while standing inside the boat. I'll be damned if I am going to reward Johnson with even more of my money for designing something that is just prone to fail.