Remove Volo-Penta H20 plug in front Intake manifold?

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I learned a $3k "life lesson" as described in this thread.
Mike R 4.3L Volvo-Penta rebuild thread

I did the winter prep just today and remember the dealer who re-built my engine clearly stating "remove/drain the front of the intake manifold by removing this drain plug". Nowhere in the manual does it state that, I'm not doubting him.
Does everyone else remove this drain plug for "added insurance"?
It's not a 8mm or 10mm hex, so off to store for a 9mm hex.
IMG_4103.jpg

IMG_4098.JPG

He stated even some marinas have forgot to remove this plug and had intake breakage due to freezing. If so, was there a service bulletin ever issued to amend the manual for this??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Remove Volo-Penta H20 plug in front Intake manifold?

Ayuh,... It's a Volvo thing,.... I'd pull it for sure.... Heard about it, never seen it....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your model doesn't require that plug to be pulled, that is why it's a cast OEM plug from GM. There were certain 4.3GL and GXi models from the EF models and up that needed drained. THey had a brass plug installed and information was in the manual about draining it. Had the block of your engine been drained, that part of the intake would also be drained from the block drains.

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Your model doesn't require that plug to be pulled, that is why it's a cast OEM plug from GM. There were certain 4.3GL and GXi models from the EF models and up that needed drained. THey had a brass plug installed and information was in the manual about draining it. Had the block of your engine been drained, that part of the intake would also be drained from the block drains.

Thx!
Mine is 1996 190hp 2bbl carb, good info to know and now I can say my winterizing 2009 project is complete then!
(and you saved me from doing a lunch run to get the 9mm hex)