1997 Nitro BB-Need help with Gel-coat repair

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

Ok my next project is to make some small repairs and I do mean small --they are only nicks and gouges that measure no bigger than a dime for most and maybe a nickel size gouge on one of them. I have about six or so little minor repairs, to make the boat look brand new.

I am not able to post the exact spot but I will post what the color of the boat is. It is a Metallic blue or as they say now--polyflake blue.

Here is the current color but wish i would have taken a picture of the damaged areas. This photo is after many days of wet sanding and getting the old severely oxidized coat off the boat and applying Meguairs #4 and followed it with Meguiars #3 and then finally two coats of my Favorite Wax--Collinite #845.

SANY1407.jpg
SANY1400.jpg

Ok--so what i need help with is to my understanding i will need some type of Clear gel-coat patch which i think i have found at US composites. But I didn't know where to find the polyflake to mix with it to apply to the gouges or nicks.

Does anyone have the procedure for doing this type of repair? As you can see by the Boats color I need some polyflake which matches the boat and enough clear gel coat to make the repairs and the knowledge to make repairs for Clear gel-coat polyflake repairs.

OK experts--i am listening --you have my undivided attention.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Nitro BB-Need help with Gel-coat repair

Can you buy some stickers to place over the bad spots, or maybe create a tape line to cover them?

I say this because metalflake repairs are difficult at best. You need to match the type and size of flake and it may be a combination of flake sizes and colors, then experiment to find the right loading. Plus if the damage is all the way into the base color coat it needs to be matched also.

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you buy some stickers to place over the bad spots, or maybe create a tape line to cover them?

I say this because metalflake repairs are difficult at best. You need to match the type and size of flake and it may be a combination of flake sizes and colors, then experiment to find the right loading. Plus if the damage is all the way into the base color coat it needs to be matched also.

Thanks, but that is not what i am asking. no offense but that would be the easy way out. I see people restoring boats from trash and they make beautiful boats and this is only a few dings. I am sure someone will have something to say on the process in which i need to follow to make the repairs needed. Or I will just take it to an autobody shop and have them do it as a last resort and only as a last resort if I can't fix it myself.

:)

Bondo

Staff member

I see people restoring boats from trash and they make beautiful boats and this is only a few dings.

Ayuh,... Making an old barge look New is rather easy,... Just by painting the Whole thing....
Spot repairs on metalflake is somewhere between Unlikely,+ Impossible....
Not the answer you Want,.. but the Truth...
Any repairs made will be Visable....

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Since you haven't posted a pic of the actual damage, we need to guess as to how bad it is, but any repair on matalflake is difficult if it actually penetrates the flake layer.

The steps I listed are what you need to do before any of the actual work starts.

Most body shops won't touch it, you need to take it to someone that has experience doing M/F repairs. Even then the repair may stand out and be easily spotted.

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are the pictures showing the damage to the boat.

SANY1410.jpg

SANY1411.jpg

SANY1412.jpg

Well these easily stand out without repair. So even an attempt at trying to fix it will be better than none at all. Even if i could mix some store bought glitter and mixed it in with clear coat gel i could make it look somewhat better than this.

if you don't try you will never know--and BTW "Tige" boats are manufactured here in Abilene, Tx. We have a major plant building operation here. There is a guy out there that does work on Fiberglass on the side. I really don't want to have to call him but I guess i might if I can't find the right process here.

Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction for repairs.

:)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The first two pic's just need some clear over them. Light sanding, brush on the clear, sand and buff.

The last one may need a little more work, but it looks small in the pic, so like you said, even if it doesn't match that well it won't stand out that much.

Is there still some of the backup color left? Flake mixed with clear can be brushed on, try to match the look of how the flake is laid down. Also keep the flake layer low enough so you can apply another layer of clear over it and not sand into the flake when smoothing the surface.

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first two pic's just need some clear over them. Light sanding, brush on the clear, sand and buff.

The last one may need a little more work, but it looks small in the pic, so like you said, even if it doesn't match that well it won't stand out that much.

Is there still some of the backup color left? Flake mixed with clear can be brushed on, try to math the look of how the flake is lays down. Also keep the flake layer low enough so you can apply another layer of clear over it and not sand into the flake when smoothing the surface.

Ok now were getting somewhere. What would you suggest as far as gel coat repair kit? US composites? What about the flake? do I just go to my local hobby shop and get some and mix it with a small amount of clear after feathering out the problem areas?

then follow up with a couple coats of clear- gel coat and then sand back down to a perfect horizontal surface?

Sounds like what i was thinking but just didnt know if it could be done.

oh and Thanks for your help here....:)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to find some clear gel coat right here on iboats, you won't need much, a pint would be far more than what's needed.

See if the hobby or arts and craft store has the right color and size of flake, they should have something close.

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks bud I appreciate the help.

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just about to ask about the process of application.

I thought about using a prevail sprayer after much reading thinking I could use it as long as i had a tip that would deliver the flake properly.

The Application of this is puzzling. I want to feather sand out the gouges first, then clean and apply some acetone. After that I am kinda lost as to the application. Was thinking all I need is a small amount of glitterflake(polyflake mixed with Clear gel coat) and apply just a very minimum amount to match the rest of the area around it. I assume then I would have to wait on the curing process and then repeat with JUST Clear gel Coat with at least 2-3 coats of just clear. After that go back with 600 grit sandpaper and work it smooth and work my way to 1000, and finish with 2000 grit sandpaper. Follow that with some Meguiars #4(a great rubbing compound) and polish after that with Meguiars #3. and finally Wax with Collinite #845 (two coats).

If someone could please help me out on what the best method of application of the clear coat would be --I would really appreciate it very much.

Thank you :rolleyes:

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone? would love to know the secrets of the application.

Appreciate it

TY

:D

kkelley

Cadet

Go to www.bassboatcentral.com look under boat restoration find a post from north river geek this guy does bass bost restorations he might give you some insight on the metal flake repair. I am restoring a hydrasport bass boat and have asked him a few questions about painting he seems to know the tricks of the trade in and out. Hope this helps You might be able to find the metal flake at a hobbyshop where they sale models and r/c cars. I know the house of kolor would have the paint and flake you need.

northrivergeek

Seaman Apprentice

Your question was answered above for the most part ...

the small spots just get some of the clear flake gelcoat from uscomposites .. apply it with a brush over the smaller areas, the larger area can be done with a brush as well to fill the hole.
For the flake .. this is where I buy 90% of mine http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/ksflake.aspx they have a color and size chart you can order .. they have the colors on line but its easier to match in the sun with the chart.. I used a hole punch to but a hole in the center of each color this way you can see the color compared to yours much better.
The Bigger deeper damaged area dig out loose flake with a needle, and then take some of the flake that best matches your boat .. make a 2-4 oz batch of gelcoat but dont add harder yet.. keep adding flake until you get the same density of flake as the rest of the boat .. use lacquer thinner or acetone to wipe off each time you do a test to see if the amount of flake is enuff.
When you have the right ratio of flake then add the MEKP to the ratio the give by volume for gelcoat, the chart and the MEKP comes with all the gelcoat they sell.

After the gelcoat cures, then you could wet sand a 1 foot area 600 grit .. and spray a coat of the clear gel by its self with no flake then wet sand .. blending in the patch and the old finish ..
Im here yo tell you that it will be noticeable no way you can fill a spot and no one ever notice .. but most people wont ever see the repair if you dont mention it..

To Spray gelcoat get a disposable sprayer http://www.prevalspraygun.com/ you can get at most auto parts stores .. you will need to thin it to the consistency of heavy cream before you spray, use MEK or acetone .. MEK and MEKP that use to harden gelcoat is notthe same thing .. MEK is availible at all hardware and home stores.
After you add the hardener to the ratio given .. then add the reducer.. you have about 10-15 mins to spray it before it hardens .. so be quick

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks NR Geek--Much Appreciated--as I see your boat took you some time to do. I have one last question.

The bottom of the hull is black--it has some nicks in it as well in which i would like to fill. Would I just use a gel patch kit from here and the colors that come with it and use the Paste? It seems to be made for more Vertical Applications than anythingelse. So I thought I could maybe buy the gel coat paste wit colors and match the black on the bottom and fill, then compound then wax.

Does this sound feasible?

Thanks again--you guys are great !!

:D

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok one last question,

On the preval sprayer--does anyone know the tip size of the sprayer? I need at least 1.5-2.5mm tip size to be able to throw the product(flake) down. I just wanted to know if the preval will work or if i need to buy an actual cheap spray gun and keep it in a container of acetone while performing the repairs so it won't clog up.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Flake won't pass through the small tip of a Preval, you can use it for the final coats of clear, but the flake layer will need to be a brush on type deal.

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, just found that out from another member--thanks guys. :p

Plan on making the repairs with a small brush and then going back with a preval sprayer or two and making about two -three coats of clear go on top of that.

Again --thanks to everyone here and I will post the results when i get them done.

Just ordered all my products from US composites today so I should be able to post results some time next week of what the repairs turned out to be and how I did it.

Again thanks for everyones help in this project

Llunker

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys,

Update

All products have been ordered including some neutral with black pigment for some repairs to the bottom hull as well--again very minor and would look good with the simple repair.

I am also going to do a write up on the process so if anyonelse needs it --it could be a good reference sheet. :)

Again --it will take some time it looks like for all products to get here but I will update with photos of before and after and the process when i am done.

Hopefully she comes out pretty darn good.