Question about finishing my paint job.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I posted these pics in my restore thread but i think HVAC and Rick and chris are my only friends there haha. Only reason I post this as a seperate thread is because I have to make a decision quickly, as it is curing.

Here is what our 2nd coat looks like.
Coat2Right.jpg

We have dust that has settled onto the paint, and some slight brush marks. Some spots we just have slight brush marks.

Should we wet sand between coats 2 and 3? The instructions for the paint says to do 400 between, but it looks damn near perfect.

After we get our final coat on should we finish it with 2000 grit? and buff and polish? Or just buff and polish?
What type of compound should we use?
How long should we wait into the cure time to buff?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: Question about finishing my paint job.

I posted these pics in my restore thread but i think HVAC and Rick and chris are my only friends there haha. Only reason I post this as a seperate thread is because I have to make a decision quickly, as it is curing.

Should we wet sand between coats 2 and 3? The instructions for the paint says to do 400 between, but it looks damn near perfect.

After we get our final coat on should we finish it with 2000 grit? and buff and polish? Or just buff and polish?
What type of compound should we use?
How long should we wait into the cure time to buff?

Hey Thrill, Don't feel to lonely Were still here for you:D Lol

Im no expert on painting but I would wet sand between coats 2 & 3 it I believe (I could be wrong) helps with adhesion of coats and prevents you from intensifying the small imperfections like dust bumps.

As far as a final wet sand goes I think that depends on the quality of the final coat. if it looks good, you can probably just buff it out to get rid of the minor surface imperfections.

For compound looking at your pics, it looks great you can probably just use white polishing compund or mabe even just glazing compound which is a liquid you can get at any automtive body shop supply.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah thats what I figured, my man bill..........

Rickairmedic

Commander

Thrillhouse go with at least 600 grit between coats to knock down imperfections in the last coat ( dust,buggs and brush streaks ) . Your paint looks great by the way . I agree with Bill on the buffing compound choices. The final coat start with 800 grit and work up to 1500-2000 then buff.

Rick