Twin outdrives and rotation

missalot

Seaman Apprentice
We just became owners of a VERY neglected boat. Twin I/Os in the salt water for about 3 years...the drives are TOAST.

This is my first twin I/O. All of the twin inboard boats that I have run have had counter rotating props. Great for walking and maneuvering (45' to 100' crew/supply vessels).

This boat, after we pressure washed the growth off the drives, is sporting two RH props. The engines have the same rotation.

I was fully expecting to have counter rotating props, is it normal to have the same hand props on twin I/Os?

The engines, Mercruiser 470s, have the same rotation, since I am replacing the drives, if I put a "counter rotation" drive on one side, will I be able to have counter rotating props or do I need to have counter rotating engines too? (BTW props were toast too, no need to worry about reusing them also)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Twin outdrives and rotation

I was fully expecting to have counter rotating props, is it normal to have the same hand props on twin I/Os?

Nope,... They're Not all counter rotating...
The engines, Mercruiser 470s,

Ayuh,... sorry to hear that,.... I don't think there was Ever counter rotating 470s...
Good Luck with 'em,.... Maybe start your planning for Replacements....

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to I boats
Just happened across this info hope it comes in handy

http://www.mercstuff.com/changingtocounter.htm

Do a search on the 470 engine there are tons of heated debates regarding these engines.

My 2c?
on old engines best bet is getting newer used complete packages, or even better getting a doner boat and parting out the rest of the boat.
You can get a Volvo to fit in where Merc was, that's what I did.

missalot

Seaman Apprentice

coastalcruiser,

Thanks for the link, just what I needed.