Carpet on wood deck.

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any suggestions or tips for glueing carpet on a plywood floor? I'm thinking of some type of indoor/outdoor from home depot or something similar. No idea on what type of glue or fastening to use.

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Carpet on wood deck.

Outdoor carpet from home depot is fine. Just use outdoor rated carpet adhesive from HD also. I just carpeted my boat's bench seats with the HD carpet and adhesive and it looks great.

Spar varnish (or resin) the ply with about 3-4 good coats and let sit for about two days after your last coat so it can get hard and gas off. seal any voids in the sides of the ply with 5200 (sillycone works also) and then sand the spar (top of the ply deck only) with coarse sandpaper. not to hard...you don't want to wear your last coat of varnish off. just enough to rough up the last coat and to give the wood some "tooth" so the adhesive can grab. apply the adhesive to only the top of the deck as per the adhesive directions and lay the carpet. roll out the carpet so it mates to the entire surface of the deck. a large wooden dowel works great (I used a formica roller). let the adhesive set up overnight (12 hours min). pull the carpet tight around the sides. use hospital corners and attach the carpet with stainless steel 1/2" staples on the bottom of the floor. don't be shy on staples. especially the corners. presto!:D carpeted deck.

IMG_2592-A.jpg

IMG_2594-A.jpg

IMG_2591-A.jpg

Last edited:

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't use any glue all staples works just fine and if I have to I could take the carpet off the deck fix what I need to fix and re staple it.Oh I did paint the wood to seal it off

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

Henry 663 out door carpet adhesive from Home Depot or Lowe's. Put it on lightly with a notch trowel. Work in small stages at a time rolling the carpet over the glue as you go. If you get to a point where you have to stand on the carpet you just put down STOP, wait and let it set for a day then finish it the next day. This way your glue wont soak through the carpet and look like s---. Clean up any glue mistakes with acetone before it dries. Acetone will go to your head fast so work in a well ventilated area.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used exterior carpet from Lowes and glued it down with exterior carpet glue. Seems to hold great!