How much will it cost to paint?

Ziggy4

Seaman
Im thinking of getting a new boat that has faded paint. Im wondering what does it usually cost to paint a 13 to 15 ft boat a diffrent color? Its got a speed boat look to it. Its a 1973 Marlin Scorpion runabout.

Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: How much will it cost to paint?

Depends on the paint.

Interlux brightside is "maine paint" but as soon as you place marine on the label they charge more...... rustoleum is about the cheapest way to paint....or you can use the exotic paints and spend allot of money such as the high end interlux or even automotive paint.

So anywhere from about $20 on up to $100 not counting primer, sand paper and supplies.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I have around $150-$200 into my Rustoleum paintjob on my 16' Starcraft including sand paper Zinc Chromate and primer and of course paint . The rustoleum is about $9.00 a quart marine paint your looking at closer to $50.00 a quart minimum .

Rick

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have about 300 into our dupont/interlux paintjob thats turning out pretty good. Check my sig link for pics. For the top cap tho we have decided to just go with rustoleum.

Just remember that the cost does not only come in money but a lot of time.
We spent 1 week filling cracks, fairing, and sanding 80 grit, 120 grit, 220 grit, 320 grit. 2 days putting on primer. 4 SOLID days sanding down the primer ( our own fault tho we messed it up a little) Normal sanding time for primer prob wouldnt be much more than 1-2 days since theres 2 of us. Then we spend 4 days waiting for the right temperature to paint, then we have been painting now for 2 days. Have one more day of painting then prob another day of wet sanding and polishing.

Ziggy4

Seaman

Im thinking im not gonna do it just way too much work. Im thinking of taking it somewhere and having it done. Anyone know approx. what someone would charge? Its a copper sparkly color faded. I would like to have it painted black.

If I have it painted should I ask to have anything done, like extra clear coat or something???

Rickairmedic: Looks real good. I like the color combo

thrillhouse700: great job on your boat, I saw your postings and decided its way to much to tackle. Im hoping I can find someone to do it for cheap. Have any finished pics?

thrillhouse700

Not yet I just posted a question about finishing it haha, We got coat #2 on it today. Tomorrow coat #3 goes on.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

The cheapest way to paint your boat is to do it yourself. If you pay for someone else to do it, it will cost you significantly more. When working on boats, the labor is what is more expensive. I think if you have it painted with marine paint, it will run you about 1k dollars. That's just sand, prime, paint. You can always find someone to paint it cheaply, but the job most likely will be done poorly.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I would say $1000 might be the downpayment on a pro paintjob . Take it to a few places to get estimates then go by Harbor freight on your way back from the second one and get a nice Random Orbit sander to start your painting supplies collection :D.

Rick

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would say $1000 might be the downpayment on a pro paintjob . Take it to a few places to get estimates then go by Harbor freight on your way back from the second one and get a nice Random Orbit sander to start your painting supplies collection :D.

Rick

LOL. You might be right.:D

Bondo

Staff member

I would say $1000 might be the downpayment on a pro paintjob . Take it to a few places to get estimates

Ayuh,... I was thinkin' atleast Twice that,... Maybe 3Xs....
I would like to have it painted black.

That's a rather poor choice for a Boat,.... Unless you're into that Burning skin feeling...

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i do body work and no need to strip all the old paint, etching primer for aluminum
primer.to sand primer should not take four days . dupont paint should do unless
in salt water or you leave it in water. total color change need sealer. a buffing job might do it or scuff and shoot with clear.

thrillhouse700

haha only took us for days cuz we messed up i said!! :(

Revenge

Seaman

A owner of a 20' Boston Whaler Outrage told me he paided $5000 for his paint job. The paint was Interlux, and they only painted the outside. I didn't go in detail about what was done for the prep work, but it was twice as much as I would have guessed.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Im thinking of getting a new boat that has faded paint.

Are you sure it's faded paint? Could it be faded gelcoat?

Faded gel can often be restored with wetsanding and buffing.