Tips for Roller Trailering Wanted

JCasey

Cadet
After using a bunk trailer for some years, I recently purchased a 23ft bowrider that came with a tandem, galvanized roller trailer. I am still trying to get used the differences but since most people at the ramps that I go to have bunk trailers, it is hard to pick up some tips. The roller set up is, 4 sets of 4 rollers in the front and 4 sets of 4 rollers in the back (32 rollers in all) all of which pivot left to right and back on forth in some manner. <br /><br />My biggest questions are:<br /><br />How far down the ramp should the trailer go while launching and retrieving? My understanding was that the biggest feature of the roller trailer is that it does not need to be in submerged in the water, at all. In fact, I was told it only needs to go down the ramp until the rear tire touches the water. This just seams odd as that means I would have to crank the boat all the way up the trailer by the bow hook during retrieval. I know that they reinforce the bow hook area but it seams like a lot weight on that one area. Also, I would have to push the boat down the rollers during launching. <br /><br />Also, I recently had a small emergency in which I had entirely submerged the trailer, like a bunk trailer, all of the way into the water and I was not able to hose it off afterwards. I have noticed some surface rust that I want to take of before it becomes a bigger problem. I was planning on getting a wire brush or a wire wheel on a handheld grinder to remove the surface rust and then spraying it with a can of the Spray Cold Galvanizing. Has anybody had any luck with this? Any other thoughts? It is not bad enough to have the entire thing hot dipped. <br /><br />I have used this trailer a couple of times and I have not seen any reason to convert it to bunk so any tips on roller trailering would be appreciated. :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tips for Roller Trailering Wanted

A roller trailer CAN be used without backing all the way in, but that is the hard way. Although it will work if the launch is extremely shallow.<br /><br />But you should back the trailer in a ways. At launch, I back in so I can reach the winch without getting my feet wet.<br /><br />At retrieve, I don't back in quite that far. It works best to have the hull hitting the rollers as the boat goes over them, this helps to center the boat on the trailer. Usually the back set of rollers is under water about 8 inches. <br /><br />You may have to try a few times to see what depth works for your boat and trailer combo.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

JCasey<br />Main thing with a roller trailer is leave the Wench strap and saftey chain connected until get boat over the water. I back down as far as can and still walk up and remove strap and saftey chain. When I unload the boat I back in until I see back raise a little then hit the brakes and wait for boat to float off. Hubs and back rollers will be under water. This is just eaiser for the wife holding lines. Only time I might stop short is when launching in salt water because I never wash trailer when launch only when retreive.<br /><br />To retreive: When launching try and see point where back of boat lift or starts to float and note how deep trailer is. When retreiveing back in but stop before trailer gets so deep boat will float. If boat floats then it will not center on the trailer. On real windy days or ramps with strong cross currents then back in even less so roller can over come effects of wind and current.<br /><br />If retreiving from unimproved ramp most inportant thing is to get trailer flat, (Both sides same deepth).<br /><br />Many times I have retreived my 21 foot boat when guy with 14 foot alumimum boat told me water too shallow to get there boats out and that is main advantage of roller trailer.<br /><br />My trailer is Galvanized so do not sand or wire brush before puting on Cold galvanized but if have heavy rust or scale must get it off so primer can get to metal.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The roller trailer manufacturers (ones I've owned) manuals recommend submerging the trailer to axle depth, or half the tire. This is probably more to protect the wheel bearings than anything else. I use "bearing buddies" and usually go further to make it easier, but never fully submerge the tire. This works well for me and gets the boat within three feet of the winch. Every setup is different and so are the ramps, even the height of the tongue makes a world of difference. Do what's safe and comfortable, making adjustments to hitch offset (ball height), winch, etc.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

JCasey, I've been using an all roller EZ Loader for ~20 years. I never get the trailer deeper than just wetting the bottom of the tires for launch or retrieve and have never had a problem on improved or unimproved ramps. My boat is a heavy 19' and the trailer has brakes, which is the primary reason for not wanting the trailer deep in salt water. Several suggestions a) adjust the trailer roller sets to get the boat as low as possible w/o the hull (particularly the keel) rubbing during lauch/retrieval b) make sure all rollers are free (periodically spray w/ WD40 or other light lube)<br /><br />If your trailer is not galvanized, you are doomed to rust sooner or later. If the trailer is galvanized, don't use anything abrasive on it.<br /><br />Enjoy!