Oil and Oil Filter questions

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
PREPOST WARNING: Not interested in oil debates, doing this cause I can afford to and believe some (not all) the hype, thanks though./WARNING

Boat: 2008 Glastron GT205 w/Mercruiser 4.3 TKS and Alpha 1
Engine SN: 1A310382

Okay, getting the boat ready for winter this weekend. Thought I'd give Royal Purple a try for the next season so picked some up. The only snafu is that Royal Purple apparently only comes in 15W40 or 20W50. My owners manual says to use 20W40. I picked up the 15W40 which should be fine, but just wanted an expert opinion if this is okay.

Second, need to pick up an oil filter, but I can't find the part number for it, and Bass Pro was of no help (admittadly I didn't have answers to all his questions). Anyhow, I am home now and looking at the boat. The filter is on the block, port side, tight to the flywheel housing (WHO'S BRIGHT IDEA WAS THAT!?!?!) but it's painted over so I can't pull the part number. Any ideas which standard filters I can use? I will likely cross reference with the K&N filter just for kicks if anyone knows the number for it.

Thanks for any help, again, I use the expensive stuff because I can, it's my money I'll waste it any way I see fit.

Ian

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oil and Oil Filter questions

Ayuh,... You can run whatever oil that floats yer boat,.... I run Mobil 1 in 15W-50....
The filter # can be found Here,... Cross away after that,... I run Napa filters...

This_lil_fishy

Ayuh,... You can run whatever oil that floats yer boat,.... I run Mobil 1 in 15W-50....
The filter # can be found Here,... Cross away after that,... I run Napa filters...

Hehe...if it's the oil floatin my boat I got a problems.

Thanks Bond-O but I don't know what the original part number is...sorry I was very clear on that. But going through the online list I am asuming it's on of these?

MERCURY MARINE 14957
MERCURY MARINE 32716
MERCURY MARINE 35-802885Q
MERCURY MARINE 54111

Ian

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

hp-2001 will fit as well. Pick the longer one of the two.

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only snafu is that Royal Purple apparently only comes in 15W40 or 20W50. My owners manual says to use 20W40. I picked up the 15W40 which should be fine, but just wanted an expert opinion if this is okay.

Ian

The exact viscosity numbers given for an engine oil by the manufacturer or builder must be used as a reference only. Newer oils, synthetic oils and blends cannot be compared directly to old petroleum based oils. Research at your leisure. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any ideas which standard filters I can use?

If using a synthetic blend oil, or full synthetic ---> a filter with a synthetic media is usually recommended.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Therefore, an oil labeled as 10W-30 must pass the SAE J300 viscosity grade requirement for both 10W and 30, and all limitations placed on the viscosity grades (for example, a 10W-30 oil must fail the J300 requirements at 5W). "

"The numbers 0, 5, 10, 15 and 25 are suffixed with the letter W, designating their "winter" (not "weight") or cold-start viscosity, at lower temperature. The number 20 comes with or without a W, depending on whether it is being used to denote a cold or hot viscosity grade. The document SAE J300 defines the viscometrics related to these grades.

Kinematic viscosity is graded by measuring the time it takes for a standard amount of oil to flow through a standard orifice, at standard temperatures. The longer it takes, the higher the viscosity and thus higher SAE code."

Enjoy

OFM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aristotle said: ?The trained mind should not expect more precision than the
subject matter allows.?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ever thought of putting in a remote oil filter? No better time than now!

Bifflefan

Commander

I use the expensive stuff because I can, it's my money I'll waste it any way I see fit.

Ian

I am with you.
Same reason my f250 is my daily driver.

I was going to suggest a remote oil filter, but bruce already beat me to it.

This_lil_fishy

I am with you.
Same reason my f250 is my daily driver.

I was going to suggest a remote oil filter, but bruce already beat me to it.

Hehe, almost bought one instead of the 150, but intellegence (the wife) prevailed in that situation! It was only $7G more then the one I got, it was point of contention for a bit...but she is the one that drives it every day (I have a company vehicle) so I gave in.

I'm guessing I can get any 4.3 remote kit, may as well do that since I am at it...very good point. I'll check out my local performance shop and see what they have.

Ian

This_lil_fishy

The exact viscosity numbers given for an engine oil by the manufacturer or builder must be used as a reference only. Newer oils, synthetic oils and blends cannot be compared directly to old petroleum based oils. Research at your leisure. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any ideas which standard filters I can use?

If using a synthetic blend oil, or full synthetic ---> a filter with a synthetic media is usually recommended.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Therefore, an oil labeled as 10W-30 must pass the SAE J300 viscosity grade requirement for both 10W and 30, and all limitations placed on the viscosity grades (for example, a 10W-30 oil must fail the J300 requirements at 5W). "

"The numbers 0, 5, 10, 15 and 25 are suffixed with the letter W, designating their "winter" (not "weight") or cold-start viscosity, at lower temperature. The number 20 comes with or without a W, depending on whether it is being used to denote a cold or hot viscosity grade. The document SAE J300 defines the viscometrics related to these grades.

Kinematic viscosity is graded by measuring the time it takes for a standard amount of oil to flow through a standard orifice, at standard temperatures. The longer it takes, the higher the viscosity and thus higher SAE code."

Enjoy

OFM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aristotle said: ?The trained mind should not expect more precision than the
subject matter allows.?

I knew the 'Winter' rating part, so figured lighter would be a bit better, as we routinely see pretty cold waters even through summer. Thanks for the link though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ever thought of putting in a remote oil filter? No better time than now!

Only problem I see with that statement is trying to install one. If you can't get to the filter to change it, the chances of installing a GOOD Quality remote filter setup without removing the engine is next to impossible.
I have removed many of the cheap remote kits because that cheap housing cracked and leaked.

As far as oil goes, use whatever you want. Have never seen a marine engine fail because of the type oil used. Lack of it yes, type and weight no.
Have taken apart old locked up engines that never seen maintenance but locked up from dead manifolds and salt water in the cylinders.
Pulled the pan and the bearings looked like great..... Go figure.

PS: Volvo used 10W40 for about a zillion year with the older engines, and it always worked fine.

This_lil_fishy

Only problem I see with that statement is trying to install one. If you can't get to the filter to change it, the chances of installing a GOOD Quality remote filter setup without removing the engine is next to impossible.
I have removed many of the cheap remote kits because that cheap housing cracked and leaked.

As far as oil goes, use whatever you want. Have never seen a marine engine fail because of the type oil used. Lack of it yes, type and weight no.
Have taken apart old locked up engines that never seen maintenance but locked up from dead manifolds and salt water in the cylinders.
Pulled the pan and the bearings looked like great..... Go figure.

PS: Volvo used 10W40 for about a zillion year with the older engines, and it always worked fine.

Thanks Don, I rebuild small engines for fun (lawnmower racing) and had the same theory, but a boat engine is a bit more expensive to replace so I take no chances...and a missed day of fishing is very expensive (mentally) indeed. Your opinion is gold on this site...

Ian

Don S

Thanks Don, I rebuild small engines for fun (lawnmower racing) and had the same theory, but a boat engine is a bit more expensive to replace so I take no chances...and a missed day of fishing is very expensive (mentally) indeed. Your opinion is gold on this site...

Ian

Ok, then lets follow that theory for a minute.
Mercruiser is doing their best to come up with an oil that makes there engines last forever.
Why wouldn't you use their recommendation and the newley classified FCW rated oils for marine use.
Have you read the spec? Do you understand the specs, or do you just like purple ;)

This_lil_fishy

Ok, then lets follow that theory for a minute.
Mercruiser is doing their best to come up with an oil that makes there engines last forever.
Why wouldn't you use their recommendation and the newley classified FCW rated oils for marine use.
Have you read the spec? Do you understand the specs, or do you just like purple ;)

Hehe...I like purple.

No, I have not read the specs, I am unfamiliar with marine specs. I have done some research in automotive oils (for which my marine engine is based) and read quite a few (paid I bet) reviews on certain synthetic oils. However I am not so foolish as to believe all claims. I do use very expensive synthetic oils in my race bike (GSXR 1000) for a very specific reason. Not becuase they make my engines last longer...heh..well..longer being a relative term in racing. However I do have measurable HP differences between oils, sometimes very minor differences, but every little bit helps, and sometimes this also equates to mileage difference, but such is not definitavely measurable and honestly is an inexact science in my opinion. Also, there is a definate difference in shifting (bikes have oil soaked clutches). THUS, I have posted here to see what some professional opinions are. I don't want to get into an oil type debate, just curious if there is a reason that I shouldn't use a specific oil (royal purple 15W-40 specifically). Now, if there is a reason I should not be using this oil in a marine engine (for which they've spent a tonne of advertising at boattest.com disguised as reviews) I would like to know.

Heh..sheesh that sounded defensive..sorry.

Ian

Don S

just curious if there is a reason that I shouldn't use a specific oil (royal purple 15W-40 specifically).

Nope, won't hurt a thing.

Was just curious if you even knew about the new marine spec. If not, here it is.
Personally, I used BLANKITY BLANK 30W in my 5.7 Chevy in a 28' bayliner in Alaska, and never had a problem. Which is exactly what everyone will say with what they are using. So, the type oil is not really an issue.
But if you want to read about the new marine spec, here it is.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/fc-w.asp

and here is Mercs newest spec.
http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/mercruiserfaqs/fueloil.php

AGAIN, use whatever you want, marine engines don't fail because of poor oil grade. There is a million other things that gets them first.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I run mobile one 15 w 50 on the advice of my engine builder... based on his experience building and rebuilding offshore and circle track engines.

Don S

If I started an oil thread, thsn someone should have taken be out behind the barn and teach me a lesson. :eek: