omc alignment tool, how far in?

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My alignment tool just came this afternoon. I took it out and tried it in the boat. How far in does it go? It slides right in through the gimble then you can feel it touch the splines then it slides in like butter about another inch then stops solid. with a lite coat of grease you can see spline marks on the tool for about 1 inch. Is that as far as it goes in? After it's in, it turns freely and smooth. Yes,No ,Maybe?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: omc alignment tool, how far in?

Ayuh,... I don't do OMCs,...
But,... On a Merc. the bar bottoms out on it's shoulder,+ is about 2" into the coupler...
I'd think your's should do the same....
Take a flashlight,+ see what the coupler Looks like....

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's whats worries me, It feels like it has come up to a shoulder solid ,but I cannot see where it has. Every thing looks good, turns smooth. Just looks like it should go in a little further, but does not get tight it just feels solid. I'm almost sorry I took it apart, won't sleep tonite.

a70eliminator

Captain

This doesn't sound right, if the tool is engaging the coupler spline then you shouldn't be able to turn it without turning the whole engine reciprocating assy. no?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This doesn't sound right, if the tool is engaging the coupler spline then you shouldn't be able to turn it without turning the whole engine reciprocating assy. no?
Alignment tools don't have splines. What the op says is that the alignment tool has entered the coupler and that is why he sees spline marks in the grease.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok i've figured it out. I found the alignment. Had to raise the front of the motor about 5/8inch. Found the lower lock nut loose,so little by little the upper one kept turning with vibration lowering the front of the engine. After raising a little at a time the alignment tool kept sliding fufther in as my son kept a bit of pressure on it. gimble is smooth turning and shaft is smooth. Hope thats it. Alignment tool slides in right up to the collar. Should go together easier than it came apart. bottom nut is now TIGHT! thanks to all.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Had to raise the front of the motor about 5/8inch. Found the lower lock nut loose,so little by little the upper one kept turning with vibration lowering the front of the engine.

Which is EXACTLY why it's recommended that you pull the drive at least once a year and check the alignment (and do some other checking and lubing along the way)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When I get home, I will post my alignment instructions. Basically, you put grease on the end of the tool, and slide it in and pull it out and look at the depth of the grooves in the grease caused by the splines. They should be exactly the same between the top and the bottom. If one is deeper than the other, adjust accorfingly.

Yes...its that critical!

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the boat is winterized and everything is ajusted,greased,and put back together. I did have some problems putting the drive back in. The worse part was getting the universal hub in that 4 inch seal. Once it started the drive slid right in. I can't say it's been the most fun I've had lately, but it's done. Thanks to everyone for your input. Now I'ts time to dig out the sleds and get them greased for the season. Ernie.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The worse part was getting the universal hub in that 4 inch seal. Once it started the drive slid right in.

That is a sure indication you need a new bellows. The old bellows use to be smaller and would swell from the grease in the bellows. You really should replace it. Next step is water in that bellows. (aka $$$$$ out of your pocket)

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh No! Is that a big Job? I can't believe this. I'm waiting for my manual that I left out of state at a friends house. They will be mailing it back stortly. In the meantime I'll have to sweat it out. Does this ever end? Thank you Don. I'm just a little frustrated.