Elgin 1959 571.58791 7.5 hp stuck in gear?

mikeAZ

Cadet
I don't feel any thing different when I shift from drive to neutral? Am I supposed to? (the prop still turns over).... I saw there is a "post" about a 7.5 Ted Williams with a similar Oust. I 've just purchased this motor.... it's not been in the water till I do some boat repairs.Thanks, Mike

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Elgin 1959 571.58791 7.5 hp stuck in gear?

I don't feel any thing different when I shift from drive to neutral? Am I supposed to? (the prop still turns over).... I saw there is a "post" about a 7.5 Ted Williams with a similar Oust. I 've just purchased this motor.... it's not been in the water till I do some boat repairs.Thanks, Mike

This one was made by West Bend and is a different system than the Ted Williams (Eska).

But what I don't know is whether it has full gearshift or just neutral-forward. Read this: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357684

mikeAZ

Cadet
Re: Elgin 1959 571.58791 7.5 hp stuck in gear?

UPDATE!!! FIXED!! I pulled the prop&housing. There hadn't been any oil in the lower end for some time. After some clean up we are ok to go. The neutral/drive system is spring loaded with 2 cable connections. The bottom cable section was "stuck", some penitrating oil and some heat on the outside of the housing finally allowed the bottom cable assembly to move, I was able to remove the cable/detent assembly from behind the top drive gear ... cleaned & lubed same. I see it calls for 30w oil in the housing... in this modern age are we using something better? (syntetic gear oil comes to mind?) Mike