brush painting vs spray painting

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class
So when I get my aluminum sides ready to be painted and go to the marine store and get a good paint, must it be sprayed on or can one use a brush. this is a 24 foot Crestliner Norsman II

bb

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: brush painting vs spray painting

Roll & Tip

High density foam roller and good quality brush

Be sure you prime any bare aluminum with zinc chromate

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I've got the Toys for spraying,+ always go that route....
Also,...
I use automotive 2pt. Urethane paints...
The color selections are greater,+ the Quality is the Same as Marine labeled paints....

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both work well, but I spray. More set up time, taping and papering, and inital cost, etc. But it just lays down really well.

Good luck.

Str8OutTha9c

Seaman Apprentice

Both work well, but I spray. More set up time, taping and papering, and inital cost, etc. But it just lays down really well.

Good luck.

And it's much faster to spray than roll and tip.

I spray everything.
But I paint cars for a living...

drewpster

Commander

Ok I have a siphon fed Mac (qt. cup) and a gravity fed HVLP, also Mac Tools brand. Never used them. I have the stuff for a remote cup. (2 qt. maybe) It was a gift and has never been used. I have a 20 gal single stage, worn out, lay down compressor. I have no water filters or oil cans with the compressor.

Give me specifics for spraying ...say Brightside. (tips, thinners and the like) And I may give it an honest try. I never tried it because my comp is so small.

So I roll/ tip and have had great results. But spraying is a real time saver.
BTW- what kind of resperator is needed for Perfection paint?

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I sprayed my interior. It all depends on what method you are more comfortable with. Roll and tip or spraying. Just use a good zinc primer or it doesn't matter what painting method you use.;)

Str8OutTha9c

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I have a siphon fed Mac (qt. cup) and a gravity fed HVLP, also Mac Tools brand. Never used them. I have the stuff for a remote cup. (2 qt. maybe) It was a gift and has never been used. I have a 20 gal single stage, worn out, lay down compressor. I have no water filters or oil cans with the compressor.

Give me specifics for spraying ...say Brightside. (tips, thinners and the like) And I may give it an honest try. I never tried it because my comp is so small.

So I roll/ tip and have had great results. But spraying is a real time saver.
BTW- what kind of resperator is needed for Perfection paint?
I've painted full cars kandy paint with a 25gal compressor.
And when kandy paint, one has to walk the whole car.
That means no stopping.
The 25 did the job without any problems.
The 20 might be good enough aslong as it builds up air fast enough.

Spray with the Gravity feed HVLP.
I used a regular 3m respirater to spray my skiff, and awlgrip on my buddies skiff.
But I did get sick for a couple days after helping my buddy with Awlgrip...lol
I don't know if that had anything to do with it or if it was just a mere coinsidence.

My buddy who was actually spraying the Awlgrip didn't get sick.
I'm going to spray the hull sides on his boat in the upcoming week.
But we might use PPG products for the hull sides.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... While your compressor is small,... It'll work, you'll just work slower...
You could always increase the volume to help out, but the bottomline recovery will be the same...
I daisy chain old propane tanks together when I sandblast,... I get to work longer between recovery breaks...
They also act as water traps to dry the air...

Take either of your guns,... I like the gravity cup I've got, except you can't sit it down without a stand...
My siphon gun I use for slower paints, just because I Can set it down...
A Qt. of paint at a time is Plenty for what most of Us are doing,... Donno what I'd ever do with a 2qt.er...

Pick a Paint Manufacturer,... Use their products from start to finish,...
I use M/S I think,.. It's what the local Napa carries...
Point is,... By not Mixing products,... Surprises are less likely to await you the mornin' after...

Then Sand, paint, Sand, paint,+ Sand,+ paint... prep is the key....;)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

While a large compressor is nice, I just re-gel coated the bottom of a 16' boat with a cheapy 2 gallon 1.5HP unit I bought for $89.00 about 4 years ago. I use this for 99% of what I do, the larger compressor hasn't been used in a long time.

A gravity feed gun with thin paint like brightsides doesn't need a huge volume of air to do a good job, it just takes a little longer.

I spray most things, its fast and easy for me.

drewpster

Commander

Sorry about the hijack Bob but I need to strike while the iron is hot.
Ok so my comp will work maybe. Any ideas on tip size for thicker paint like brightside? (not sure what the guns came with, I was told the gravity gun has a primer sized tip in it)
thanks guys,
drewp

Str8OutTha9c

Seaman Apprentice

I shoot out of a 1.3 tip.
I like the way it flows out smoother than others.

Less orange peel.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Sorry about the hijack Bob but I need to strike while the iron is hot.
Ok so my comp will work maybe. Any ideas on tip size for thicker paint like brightside? (not sure what the guns came with, I was told the gravity gun has a primer sized tip in it)
thanks guys,
drewp

Brightsides isn't thick, it needs to be reduced before spraying and will be very thin.

On the small cheap spray guns you don't really have a choice on tip size, you just use what it has. For the most part you can adjust it to spray most paints and primers.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I'm no Pro-painter by any means,... All of my guns have whatever tip came with 'em....
I adjust the mix of the paint, or the air pressure, or the flow needle to get the patterning I need...

drewpster

Commander

You mean I am over thinking it again...? big surprise. sorry again Bob.

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rolled & tipped....and just wasn't satisfied with the results. Sanded it again, and sprayed 2 coats of Petit topside, and looks great. I did roll on an antifouling bottom paint, which went on perfect and ended up perfect.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

You mean I am over thinking it again...? big surprise. sorry again Bob.

I was watching a friend build kitchen cabinets. I commented on how I can never measure and cut exactly what I needed, it is never accurate. He said, "Well, when that happens, just cut another board." So, whenever I make a mistake in my many projects, and my mistakes are legon, I just cut another board, so to speak. Working on boats I don't know of anything that can't be undone and redone. Kind of like life.

bb