New leaf springs

sunbird1

Seaman
I plan on installing new leaf springs on my trailer in a couple of weeks, a little preventitive maintenance. Does anyone have any tips for the best way to do this? Is it better/easier to do with the boat off the trailer? Also, is there a certain make I should get, I was going to get them at Boaters World or West Marine. Thanks

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: New leaf springs

Sunbird<br />To do it with boat off the trailer will only take half as long. Boat get in the way then there is aded wieght and risk of damage to worry about. I would check out Champion Trailers for instruction and parts. <br /><br /> http://www.championtrailers.com/

tgodiver

Seaman

Leave the boat on the trailer. The boat does not get in the way. All you need to do is support the frame by jacking it up and pulling the wheel off. <br /><br />The only problem you might have is rusted frozen nuts and bolts. A breaker bar and long pipe will take care of that problem. In my case, the bolts were rusted on tight and I had to literally put torque on the bolts til they broke off. Spend a little more money and go with the galvanzied leaf springs since they will last longer. Replace all the mounting hardware with new stuff as well.<br /><br />I've seen many boats stuck on the road because of broken axles and leaf springs, and there is no quick way to fix that on the road.

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd leave the boat on the trailer (it is a little easier with it off but in my oppion not enough to go thru the hassle of removing it.) <br /><br />tgodiver is correct rust sucks and is a pain. You can do yourself a favor and soak the bolts before hand with some liquid wrench (or like) (do this for a couple days before you start) makes life easier.

D

DJ

sunbird1,<br /><br />Agree with the others. Do yourself a favor and start soaking those bolts daily with something like "Liquid Wrench".<br /><br />Champion Trailers is an excellent source of parts and info.