how to diconnect L U.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

I have 1964 speedtween cylinder, 2cycle and 28hp.

I try to disconnect the L U, It was stuck in gear before, now I disconnected cable, put it in reverse, it dropped down about 2". That is all i can lower it. where and how to disconect the shift rod from the motor?
I can not see a screw to loose it.

Thank you. note: I used to chnged impeller on Evinrude 1987 15hp before. This is different. Thank you.
Thank you.

diver_down

Seaman
Re: how to diconnect L U.

Hello,

I have 1964 speedtween cylinder, 2cycle and 28hp.

I try to disconnect the L U, It was stuck in gear before, now I disconnected cable, put it in reverse, it dropped down about 2". That is all i can lower it. where and how to disconect the shift rod from the motor?
I can not see a screw to loose it.

Thank you. note: I used to chnged impeller on Evinrude 1987 15hp before. This is different. Thank you.
Thank you.
if it's similar to the 20hp than it has a small plate (oval, two bolts) on the middle section. under it is the connection between the two sections of the shift rod. pull lower bolt out and it will slide out of the connector.

jasper60103

Commander

yep, here's a pic of my 28. Once you remove the bolt, it should slide off easily.

SDC12017.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

look under that carb for a place to disconnect the shift linkage

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There may be an oval cover under the exterior cover on the midsection. Make sure you remove one of the shift rod connection bolts completely. Loosening it a bit doesn't work.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of oil do I need for it?
Do i need RTV seal in between upper and lower units?
Thank you.

a70eliminator

Captain

You don't need to seal the housings they're full of water reguardless, but I sure would apply some sealant on the threads of bolts after chasing with a tap. It wouldn't hurt to apply some sealant to the machine surfaces, just my personal preferance. I think originally they did have gaskets between the housings?
PS
Be cautious with RTV excess that squeezes out is like rubber and can plug drains and clog up passages.