1985 J-150-TLCOS troubles, perhaps ignition

diver_down

Seaman
it ran marvelously for a while, we stopped for a dive that all of the sudden it would start but had no power, than quit completely.
brought home, started on muffs (surprise, surprise), checked the voltage across the yellow wires coming out of the stator. it fluctuates VERY MUCH, from like 5v to 20+ at idle. voltage across the output of the regulator is 8v only (12V when not running, just the key on). battery dies really fast while running (dropping voltage).
the resistance across those yellow stator wires is just a couple of ohms. My guess is that the stator is shot (and probably the regulator as well). I found them locally, used (functioning, motor threw a rod right through the block). now i need to take off the flywheel and can not figure out the size of the nut, can anybody help me with that.
also, any other ideas on what might be wrong would be appreciated.
it runs on muffs for a while, once warm the rpm drop and it quits, can't restart until it cools down completely.
p.s. i'm picking up the OEM manual on saturday as well.

diver_down

Seaman
Re: 1985 J-150-TLCOS troubles, perhaps ignition

bump, ...
no ideas guys?
none whatsoever?
please!!!???

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 J-150-TLCOS troubles, perhaps ignition

Ignition problems tend to occur when the ignition components reach normal operating temps. Probably easiest to check for spark first. When the engine is running, put a timing light on each plug wire and check for spark. The flashes will show if you have no spark, weak spark, or intermittent spark and on which plugs. When you get the factory service manual, you will note that the stator provides power to recharge the battery and to run the ignition. These are separate systems and should be diagnosed separately.