4 0r 6 hp Johnson

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to located a good 4 or 6 hp long shaft motor, if you know anyone with a motor pm me

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 4 0r 6 hp Johnson

I'd suggest checking out craigslist for used outboards. If you add your location under the user cp then folks will at least know what region you're in...otherwise it's tough for someone to sell a motor to somebody that lives hundred of miles away.

Some folks on the forums may even check craigslist for you if they know your location. People like helping out on this site:)

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Hope I made the correct changes, if not I live near York, Pa but work in Baltimore, Md

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks, Hope I made the correct changes, if not I live near York, Pa but work in Baltimore, Md

York, PA...home of the band Live;)

Are you looking for a newer outboard or anything that runs?

I just got a 1955 Johnson 5.5hp that runs like a top and it was $150. My dad put some more cash into it(birthday gift to me) to get some new parts installed but it did run as it was, so there are good deals out there.

What kind of boat are you working with? Mine's a 12' aluminum, there's a link to my restoration in my signature if you want to check out a video of my 5.5hp running:D Good luck finding a good outboard.

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've checked those out already, so far everything seems to be short shafts. I'm looking to use it on my 72 Whaler as a kicker

Thanks for the links

Huron Angler

Admiral

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/boa/1377373599.html

This is the best I've found and it's probably too big and kinda pricey but figured I'd send a link for good measure.

Have you considered mounting a kicker bracket to allow a short-shaft?

I know there are some motors that were designed for sailboats that are 4-6hp and longshaft. Here's one example called the sailmaster. It's got a 25" shaft so may even be too long:)

http://www.smalloutboards.com/j895el.htm

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 4hp sailmaster came up yesterday on the eastern shore of Md. The guy is holding it for me to pick up Sunday. Suppose to be a 2001 4 hp Johnson in good condition for $150.00. If this motor is in good shape, I got one heck of a deal. :p

Huron Angler

Admiral

A 4hp sailmaster came up yesterday on the eastern shore of Md. The guy is holding it for me to pick up Sunday. Suppose to be a 2001 4 hp Johnson in good condition for $150.00. If this motor is in good shape, I got one heck of a deal. :p

Sounds like a great deal if it runs:D Did the guy say it runs? It could be a good condition non-running motor:p

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No, not sure if it runs, he didn't have any way for me to try it. So like a dummy I bought it anyway. Will see later today. This motor mix is 100 to 1 ratio, can I run this from my main tank or will it be too much oil

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hopefully it starts up for you:) Is it set up for VRO oil injection possibly? 2001 is pretty new and you may have the option of pre-mix or having a separate oil reservoir.

Post a thread in the Johnson/Evinrude outboard forum and fokls here can help you figure it out. Is it a 20" longshaft? I saw some of the yacht kickers were 25" or longer too.

Good luck with it

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well motor turned out to be a bad deal. First off it is a 1987, so I hook up gas line and squeeze the primer and gas is leaking out of the cover. Pulled cover and found no plugs and a fuel line missing. It probally would not take much to get it running but I called the guy and going to return the motor. :eek: