Force 150 on a Basstron 1760 ProVee

hdf

Cadet
I am looking for advice regarding buying a Force 150 CFI on this boat. I believe it is Chrysler manufactured?? What does the CFI mean? Is it a reliable motor and can it be worked on and are there parts still available? The boat and motor have set since at least 2005 and very wary of buying it at auction. How can I check to verify motor is not wasted since it is not currently accesible to try and start. Any advice appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 150 on a Basstron 1760 ProVee

The five cylinder 150 was never made by Chrysler, however, the basic design and casting for the block is the same. It was made from 1989 by Brunswick AMF (who bought Chrysler and changed the name to Force) until 1994 by Mercury. It is a decent engine, with good power and should be relatively reliable. It uses 50 to 1 gas to oil mixture--no oil injection.

CFI means Cross Flow Injection (or induction--I forget which) and is a marketing hype to indicate and make sound good a dirt standard, old school design, crossflow inducted engine.

As far as condition, look at the general outside condition. Does it appear well kept or is there a lot of corrosion and flaking paint. Outside condition will generally mirror the overall condition of the engine.

Ask for compression ratio on all cylinders. All should be 140 or over and all should be within (ideally) 5 pounds of each other but 10 pound difference is acceptable.

Electronic components are easily replacable, so although a bit expensive, not too big a consideration. BUT: Low compression on one or more cylinders indicates a need for disassembly and rebuilding.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Force 150 on a Basstron 1760 ProVee

I have a '92 Force 150 that runs awesome. So far the only real expence has been the trim cylinder. It blew itself apart after 3 of the 5 bolts broke on it. Had to order new and it was a PITA to get the old one out (lotsa help from peeps on here though). Rebuilt starter, new prop, cheap. Fairly simple engine, making sure the 3 carbs are in sync is tough but doable.