Found a tin can for me!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Finally got a boat that I liked. Bought this 1989 Sea Nymph this afternoon and towed it on home. It's a 14.5' v-hull with a working 25hp Mercury hanging on the back. Sweeeeeet!

The boat and motor need nothing... everything works. (Although I may change the plugs just for grins.) All I have to do is get down to the DMV tomorrow and get it switched to my name... then on to fishing!

ARRRRGHHHH! I have to resize all the pics. Whatever happened to 640 x 480? LOL

Attachments

• audinymph2.jpg
    audinymph2.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0

boomer2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Found a tin can for me!

That's golden! If the fish gang up on you and you need help call me... :D Have a good time and enjoy it.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Here are a few more pix. I'm kinda busy tonight, but can't just leave ya'll hangin' out there in cyber-land! LOL! :D

Attachments

• seanymph4.jpg
    seanymph4.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
  • seanymph5.jpg
    seanymph5.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • seanymph6.jpg
    seanymph6.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
  • audinymph1a.jpg
    audinymph1a.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • audinymph2a.jpg
    audinymph2a.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Very nice!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Thanks! The good news is that after all the teeth-gnashing with my two glass project boats... and the subsequent wheelin' and dealin' that I did over the last 9 months, I came out ahead and actually only have 500 bucks in my new boat, motor and trailer! :D

SHWING!!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

good buy Captain!
it should run well -looks like fun.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nice find, just right. may have to put smart tabs on it.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

nice find, just right. may have to put smart tabs on it.

Thanks.

More likely I'll put a hydrofoil on, not smart tabs. That is, if anything is actually needed at all.

Huron Angler

Admiral

BWR that's a nice looking rig you've found:D...my dad has the same boat exactly, only 2ft longer. They have a nice pitch to the bow and love to plane out. That 25hp should push it aroud pretty well.

Does the structure on the side have storage for poles?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Thanks all!

I just found the serial number on the Mercury and it's a 1987.

Right now I'm sitting around waiting for a buddy from out of town to contact me to get together for lunch. Otherwise, I'd be down at the DMV getting this puppy put into my name so I can hit the water!

Can't wait to get it out there!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Just got back from the DMV where I got the vessel registered and titled in my name. Progress! LOL :D

jt185

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You did say you were getting a new boat for the new tow vehicle. Good find man!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

You did say you were getting a new boat for the new tow vehicle. Good find man!

Yah! And a little photo-editing shows that painting the boat the same color as the car could work pretty well! Heh heh. :D

Attachments

• audicobaltblue4b.jpg
    audicobaltblue4b.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • audicobaltblue5b.jpg
    audicobaltblue5b.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
  • audicobaltblue6g.jpg
    audicobaltblue6g.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Update - My young neighbor came over and we addressed several things.

I bought a little 12v cranking battery today from Wal Mart for only twenty-five bucks and it worked well to crank the 25hp Mercury. The battery has 350 cranking amps, 275 cold cranking amps and it really spun the motor over nicely. Later on I'll buy a humongous deep cycle battery to power lights, pumps and trolling motor (yet to be installed).

We cleaned the fuel filter and got a lot of yucky black stuff out of it, then disposed of the old fuel and tank, using one that I already had on hand with fresh gasoline to continue testing. The engine ran better after the filter was cleaned, but it still needs more attention on the carb. Hopefully, that will get done this weekend. I did shoot some videos of the engine running. Gotta get a photobucket account set up to show those.

I did partially fill the boat with water and found a small leak forward. There are several patches on the aluminum hull exterior where the prior owner had visited oyster bars and rocks a bit too closely. The neighbor says he has a buddy who is an expert heli-arc welder with aluminum and that I should be able to have him make repairs for me.

Got a wheeled, swinging trailer jack from Harbor Freight the other day and installed that this afternoon as well.

All in all... progress!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Well, here's the first run of the engine at my place, after the fuel filter cleaning. Still doesn't idle perfectly, but I'll get it worked out.

Think the water pump is working okay? :D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Running in forward gear:

Running in reverse gear: