Weak Transom on fiberglass boat

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I noticed yesterday that the location of the clamps on my transom seem to be cracked, and I assume that is cause for alarm.

I've been some bad transoms on this forum, and mine is in pretty good condition, but I think if I don't fix this now, it's going to lead to more issues down the road.

Also, my AV plate is too low in the water; it needs raised about 1".

So, what I was thinking was to use 1/4" aluminum plating to reinforce the transom and build it up an inch.

Let me know if you have tried this, or if you know of someone who has. I don't want to just get an extension; I would rather reinforce the whole transom when I extend it out.

I can get you pictures of the weakened area if it will help.

Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Weak Transom on fiberglass boat

On that little boat it can't be too major of a project to actually do the job properly and replace the rotted wood.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

On that little boat it can't be too major of a project to actually do the job properly and replace the rotted wood.

I'm sorry, I have no idea how to do this. Is there a website or somewhere that shows how?

do I just have to take the metal transom "cap" off and pull the old wood out? If that's the case, I can do that no problem (I think).

Thanks for the help!

jonesg

Admiral

I'm sorry, I have no idea how to do this. Is there a website or somewhere that shows how?

do I just have to take the metal transom "cap" off and pull the old wood out? If that's the case, I can do that no problem (I think).

Thanks for the help!

search here, its all here, look in the finished projects forum.
Lots of guys have done it (raised transom), its all documented with pics.