newbie- '92 Johnson 140 needs starter fluid

TxHorns

Seaman
I need to use starter fluid to start my motors every time. What could be the cause of this? Do I need to rebuild my carbs? Are there any cheap tricks/tests I can try first to see if they fix the problem?

I've heard someone say that running some 110 octane fuel through your motor cleans your carburetors out really well, but I wanted to make sure this can't do any damage before I try it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: newbie- '92 Johnson 140 needs starter fluid

You push the key in like a button a few times and there is a little pump in the engine that feeds the engine with a squirt of fuel everytime you push. That is the normal way to start a johnson when cold. Dont use starting fluid it has no oil in it, you are sparying away the lubrication that is in the cylinders you will ruin your motor.

TxHorns

Seaman

Thanks, good to know, I'll definitely stay away from spraying anything unmixed in there. For the button, does this have a different effect than squeezing the priming bulb?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Squeezing the bulb fills the carb bowels, pushing in on the key squirts fuel directly into the carb intake for cold starts.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Also, the primer solenoid only squirts fuel while the motor is turning over and the key is pushed in. Simply pushing the key inwards doesn't do anything as the primer needs fuel to work and that fuel is supplied by the fuel pump which only does anything while the motor is spinning over...

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Correct me if I'm wrong,the alcohol in the "starter "fliud actuallay wipes any oil residue that is in the cylinder,the alcohol then evaporates leaving the cylinders bone dry. Then when you start the engine you are basically moving the pistons,rings and bearings on the crank on surfaces dry of lubricant which I don't think is wise. What I do with some success is use a small "squirt bottle" filled with premixed fuel and just squirt the fuel into the carbs. Bailey

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

What I do with some success is use a small "squirt bottle" filled with premixed fuel and just squirt the fuel into the carbs. Bailey

It's the only way in my book if needed when troubleshooting.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

there is no reason to squirt anything in the carbs at any time,EVER! find out what is wrong and fix it, OMC has not yet ever made a motor that required the cowl to be removed and a squirt of magic spray to get it started!

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not getting in a pi--ing match with you,but from personal experience having barrel rolled our hydroplane while racing "A.B.P.A. many a time,due to the short turnaround between heats were you have to dry out your engine,get rid of your watered down gas plus get the engine hot to dry any electronics so you can continue racing. It isn't a big deal removing the hood (in your case the cowl)then to squirt a bit of gas into the carbs to get the engine fired up. To everyones dismay this is done with the engine on the transom, and with the boat on a dolley on shore.
Bailey (Some veterans in Florida who attend these races know of what I speak!)