stay in gear.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I just got a old boat and a motor, Pen Yard looks like 12 footer and 1964

Evinrude 28 hp 2 plugs, 2 cycle engine. It seems to be a good built motor.

I want to start it up, But it seems to be in gear. I tried to shifted it out of gear. won't do that. I prop locks in both direction.

Is it suposed to be like that?. please help any comments will be appreciated.

there are 2 shift handles next to each other. Thank you.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: stay in gear.

It's possible your lower unit has rusted and seized up with water in it. If indeed you cant shift it, you will have to open up the LU.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it require spacial tool to remove fly wheel.?. I also have spark on 1 cylinder only. Does it need to be winterize it? I live in Rochester,NY.

Thank you.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

To remove the flywheel you need a harmonic balancer puller and 3 grade 8, 1/4" bolts. read the secret info file at the top of this thread.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Does it require spacial tool to remove fly wheel.?. I also have spark on 1 cylinder only. Does it need to be winterize it? I live in Rochester,NY.

Thank you.

Well, to properly winterize, it'll need to be running. If you intend on trying to save the motor, at least make sure there isn't any water in the lower unit or it'll pop like a frozen soda can if it's left to freeze.

Spark on 1cyl could either be a bad plug wire, coil, or dirty/worn points. All under the flywheel. If the coils are original, they should both be replaced. They were very prone to deterioration.

csisommout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all for info.

Some how My uncle did not see spark on bottom plug. But i try to start it by
squirting starting fuel. It ran for a while and I turned a key off. Because it is still in gear. I ran out of water in the tank.

Will it run if missing a spark on other plug?

I plan to change a L U oil this weekend. I also play with shifter, it is moving, but, I can not get it to nutral. hopefully when i change a L U oil, it will come loose to nutral.

more info about shifting out of gear will appreciated.