Blowing Ignition Fuse

kalush

Cadet
Four Winns 170 2004 Volvo Penta 3 L
Engine quit while cruising medium speed, found blown ignition fuse 20 amp, replaced fuse and engine ran until medium speed and blew fuse again. Replaced fuse and same thing happened again. Motor runs fine on trailer with a 7-1/2 amp fuse - cannot get it to blow. Checked all connections, all seems tight, no bare wires, no corrosion. PLEASE HELP.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Blowing Ignition Fuse

What is the full model number of your engine, or even the SN will help.
In that era, there were 2 completely different wiring setups on the engine.
Usually the boat year isn't the same as the engine year anyway.
Was the 20A fuse under the helm or on the engine?
What other accessories were you running on the water, that you weren't using while on muffs with the 7.5A fuse? Is your boats accessories powered off the ignition switch? It shouldn't be.

kalush

Cadet

The Serial # for the Engine is 4012096753
The 20 amp. fuse is under the Helm and there are no accessories on the ignition circut as far as I can tell. When the fuse blows I still have power to the Tilt, Horn , Blower and Bilge pump. It was raining very heavy when the engine quit the first time.
This Boat does not get much use it only has 150 hrs since new. The weather has been very wet could it just be moisture.
I have run a temporary wire from a empty fuse socket on the fuse block and plan on feeding 12 volts directly to the coil if I have a problem this weekend,
will it do any harm to any components.
Thanks for your inhput.

havasuboatman

Ensign

If you are planning on bypassing the fuse to use the boat then YES, it can do harm. You could very well catch your boat on fire! You understand the reason for fuses is to keep that from happening, right?

kalush

Cadet

Thanks havasuboatman
I have a fuse in the hot wire and the boat ran fine using this method.
As soon as I got the engine running I shut the ignition off and I had no problem but I needed the ignition switch for the starter. As soon as I turned the ignition switch to the on position when crusing it blew the ignition fuse. I ran with no instruments for the weekend and I am finished with the boat for the winter so I have some of time to sort out the wiring and I think it is in the neutral switch.

Thanks Jim