V6 inborard engine trouble - starts but stalls out when adding throttle

adgjqetuo

Recruit
Hi, I'm new here so bare with me - I'm trying to help a friend.

He has an older boat (possibly 80's) around ~30-35' in length with one bedroom - so its a decent sized boat - although I do not know the exact make or year off the top of my head.

Anyway, he is having trouble with his inboard engine. It's a V6 carburetor engine. Here are the problems were having and what we've tried so far to fix it:

Problems / Symptoms:
- Engine will start up and idle, but as soon as you increase the throttle, it will last for about 20-30 seconds then start to "gurgle" and almost act like it's "choking" on itself then stall out. Once it stalls out it won't restart for another few hours, then later it'll do the exact same thing.

- It almost sounds like its possibly mis-fireing and when it gets more throttle it can't keep up with itself and just stalls out - but i'm not completly sure.

What we replaced already: - after the problem started
- We replaced all of the spark plugs

- Replaced the distributor cap and rotor

- Wires look to have been replaced within the past couple years - still looked newish. When we replaced the dist cap we put the wires on exactly the same place they were before (labeling them with tape), but oddly enough we found that they were placed on differently then the manual said. We tried putting them on the way the manual said, and upon starting got a flame straight out of the carburetor. Needless to say we put them back on the other way and we still have the same original symptoms.

- We checked the fuel pump and lines and they looked okay.

We did notice there is a small computer under the dist. cap - not sure what that is but could that be a possibility? Any other suggestions? Please let me know if you need any more information and i'll try to get that for you.

Thank you for any insight!

cr2k

Captain
Re: V6 inborard engine trouble - starts but stalls out when adding throttle

Sounds like a fuel problem. Pull the spark arrestor pump the throttle and have someone look to see if there is fuel squirting in the carb. If not...Float valve, carb plugged up.

Can also try spraying some carb spray in as it starts to die. If this works, Carb Problems.

adgjqetuo

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. We tried spraying some of that stuff and it didn't make a difference. We also looked at the fuel and it seemed to be spraying in decently. Is there a chance it's OVER spraying fuel? I believe the fuel pump is pretty new though.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The Carb, Could be doing alotta things,...
Whatever it's doing Ain't Right...

Somemore particulars about the motor would be nice,...
Like What motor, built by Whom.?.?.?.?.
And,...
What Carb.?.?.

adgjqetuo

Recruit

Ayuh,... The Carb, Could be doing alotta things,...
Whatever it's doing Ain't Right...

Somemore particulars about the motor would be nice,...
Like What motor, built by Whom.?.?.?.?.
And,...
What Carb.?.?.

Honestly, I have no idea - I wish I did. I can try to find out though.

I know the carb has 4 inlets on the top in a square formation IE -> ( : : ). Two of them are covered by a metal plate which only opens if the stick is set to FULL throttle, the other 2 are uncovered (I'm talking looking down at it from the very top with the small plastic cover off of course). - Don't know if that helps any.

grahamh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would start by thoroughly cleaning/rebuilding the carb, as in removing all the needles and jets, and everything out with carb cleaner and/or compressed air.

If you don't feel comfortable disassembling the carb, it may be time to seek out a professional.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm trying to help a friend.

Ayuh,.... Tell your friend he needs to have a Mechanic rebuild his Carb,... Whatever it is...