Cover for the stern of the boat

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not massively optimistic I will get so many replies to this, but I am considering building a cover for the stern of my boat, thus covering the motor. The motor is really noisy and the fumes can fill up the boat pretty quick if i have the top up.

So i am proposing to build this:

3983397871_a391409351.jpg

Currently looks like this:

2902250331_9194241223.jpg

I have seen other boats that kinda enclose the outboard, but I mention my plan to someone and they started banging on about airflow and the like, which has admittedly caused me to scrutinize the idea a bit more. Would a adversely effect airflow to the motor. any one have any tips? Ideas?

p.s I don't work as a graphic designer ;)

Cheers

G

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Cover for the stern of the boat

I dont know, you may have a career calling as a graphics desighner, you are trying to build this to keep the exaust smells down?
I would be curious to see if this works.
It has been a while since I messed around with outboards, but If its a 2 stroke engine you may want to look at going to a different, synthetic? injection/mix oil
and maybe lean it back alittle, what are you supposed to be running 40/1 50/1, but they always smell like exaust anyways
just a thought:)
rob

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

50/1. It smells like a botched suicide attempt every time I put the roof up.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mock it up with fabric or tarp and duct tape first. Let us know how helpful it is... not that I'm very optimistic.

Jeep Man

Commander

Your proposed design is very common on many pontoon boats. The fuel tank is on one side, battery and storage on the other, and a padded sundeck across both, creating a top cover to lessen the noise.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

You know -- in looking at the design of the boat I'm wondering where those large open areas on either side of the engine lead to. Do they open into the boat?

The reason I ask is it looks to me like those big holes might create some mild vacuum as the boat moves and so suck exhaust forward. You might try taping these closed with plastic or something easy and see if your fume issue goes away or at least gets better.

As for your design it looks like it would be pretty easy to do considering the height of the transom on either side.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

I built a seating platform over two different O/B's. No problem at all.

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You know -- in looking at the design of the boat I'm wondering where those large open areas on either side of the engine lead to. Do they open into the boat?

The reason I ask is it looks to me like those big holes might create some mild vacuum as the boat moves and so suck exhaust forward. You might try taping these closed with plastic or something easy and see if your fume issue goes away or at least gets better.

As for your design it looks like it would be pretty easy to do considering the height of the transom on either side.

Hot damn. You have been watching a lot of CSI! Those spaces are for fuel tanks, but they are pretty cavernous anyways. Went to the boat, sure as hell there are old bolts and what not, where to panels previously sealed in the fuel tanks, that's my problem!!! You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

whatever you do, when you test it, have some carbon monoxide testers/alarms on and in your cabin area. I'd be leery of enclosing the motor or blocking air flow, although it looks pretty well blocked already. Better to fill the sides as you suggest than to encase the motor.

a tail wind can fill a cockpit area with dangerous gas even without the tell-tale odor. It's serious stuff you're messing with there.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

So now all you have to do is replace the missing covers, and the exaust smells will stay on the outside?
that was easy eh:)
rob

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hot damn. You have been watching a lot of CSI! Those spaces are for fuel tanks, but they are pretty cavernous anyways. Went to the boat, sure as hell there are old bolts and what not, where to panels previously sealed in the fuel tanks, that's my problem!!! You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!

LOL - more like a louse and rebrobate...but I'm glad if it helped! :)