Steering Cable\Helm Replacement

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK guys, it's time for an end of season repair for me. Planned a huge trip with the guys to load down my ponton and camp on an island. Launched it, pulled over to a slip, got everyone onboard, pulled away, steering gone! Joy.

I have already removed the steering cable and have decided to replace the cable and helm.

My questions are as follows:

1) This is a 25' pontoon with a 90 HP Yamaha. Is there a preference on what kit to buy? I was looking at the http://www.iboats.com/Safe_T_QC_Rot...1479580--**********.649591566--view_id.169537 but also saw others that are more expensive. Is a different kit worth the additional cost?

2) When measuring for the cable, I measure about 13.5' on the existing cable not including the ends (only the red jacket). The old cable is a Morse D304411, and it says 180IN on it. I'm guessing I need a 15' kit, right?

Really appreciate your help guys. I'm headed out of town tomorrow, so won't be able to get to this job for a couple weeks, but need to order the part soon so it's ready for me when I get back! Thanks for all your insight.