6HP Johnson/Evinrude Problem

KLATTU22

Recruit
My 6HP Johnson/Evinrude "Yachtsman" cranks just fine and runs for about 10-15 min, then cuts off as if the ignition switch is cut off! I will not start back up for about 4-5 hours. I have noticed the water that comes out from the water pump seems to be hotter than usual with some steam visible. Is there a built in cut-off thermostat or switch that will cut a motor off if it gets too hot?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 6HP Johnson/Evinrude Problem

You've overheated your motor. You either need a new water pump kit or a new thermostat most likely. There should be NO steam coming out of your motor. It has likely had some damage but luckily, those OMC's can take a lot of abuse and you probably just shortened it's lifespan some. Fix your cooling problem and it will run again, I'll bet. There's no switch to turn it off when it overheats, I can assure you.:redface:
Good luck,
JBJ

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 6HP Johnson/Evinrude Problem

That's a 1987, KLATTU. It is important that you give either the model number or the year every time you post about it.

It is possible that engine heat is shutting off your ignition due to a temperature related failure there, but you first need to get her cooling properly. A hot-failure in the ignition may have saved the engine from complete destruction.