Is there a bit missing??? 1982 140hp V4

johnny_boy

Cadet
I have just connected up my teleflex morse MV2 throttle and shifter controls. I think I have done everything right at the controls end, but at the engine end, there doesn't seem to be any way to securely fix the cables where they enter the outoard. I am thinking something is missing. There is a flat metal plate with two screws which tightens to a point, but nowhere near enough to keep the cables secure when you use the throttle lever. Should there be something there on which I slide the "grooves" on the cables, like there is on the controls end???

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is there a bit missing??? 1982 140hp V4

you need to explain a bit more,do the cables have ends with round holes,or just threads,if just threads,your missing the connectors which slide over a round connector for throttle and shift,it would be secured with a nut and washer,the metal plate would hold the cables secure by removing the plate,placing the knob on the cable end in the cast seat ,both cables will fit ,then the metel plate will secure the cables ,not allowing the jacket of the cable to move when inside cable is operated

johnny_boy

Cadet

Sorry Mikesea, let me try and make it clearer. The cables are the types with just the threads on, but I also have the two stainless bits (female thread) which screw onto the ends of the two cables at the engine end, and they each have a hole which allows them to be connected to the shifter and throttle linkages, and they are held in place by a nut. These were on the ends of the original cables which I have now removed.

The problem I have is that when I move the throttle control on the helm, at the motor end the outer casing of the cable moves along with the inner cable. At the helm control end both the outer cables have a metal section which incorporates a groove. This groove slides into a semi-circular niche on the throttle hub assembly, which keeps the outer cables securely in place when the controls are used. This means that the only part of the cable that moves when the lever is moved forward and back is the inner cable. Shouldn't there be something similar on the motor end, so that the outer cable will remain securely in position, whereas the inner cable moves freely and operates the shifter and throttle linkage?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Your motor has a carburetor cover and base assembly that incorporated the anchor point for the cable into the lower starboard side corner. Your cables should have a plastic barrel nut that threads fore/aft for adjustment. That nut seats into the anchor points on the carburator cover base.

johnny_boy

Cadet

My cables don't have a plastic barrel nut on them. They are simply threaded ends with a small nut to lock up behind things, and some rubber boots to prevent dirt etc. There is something which is basically a thin metal plate which can be tightened via two bolts just inside the outboard casing where the cables come through the lower starboard side of the engine. However, when fully tightened they still allow the outer cable to move when the controls are used. I am sure that they are the right cables as I bought them new and have checked the numbers against the teleflex website info for the MV-2 controls. Does anyone know where I can find a picture of the way the outer cables are fixed to this outboard? I cannot find anything in the clymer manual.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like you have a set of Morse style generic cables. They lack the ends at the motor end so they can be adapted to whatever brand of motor they're being use with. You'd need a set of ends like these... I think you can get them through iboats.com...

Attachments

• CableAdapter_ThreadedOMC_02.jpg
    CableAdapter_ThreadedOMC_02.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

johnny_boy

Cadet

Thanks very much Chinewalker. SPOT ON !!! I have now located the part numbers and orered them. Cheers:D