Transom Repair Part 1

joeturse

Seaman
Here are a few pics of my day saturday.The chain saw if used with care,is easier than I thought.
Plan on using NIDA-BOND POURABLE TRANSOM COMPOUND for the rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom Repair Part 1

Ah...memories. Wait until you get it cleaned out, then reach down and feel the end of the stringers. Most likely mush. The project expands from there :) Good luck!

joeturse

Seaman

Cleaned out pocket,and no stringers in sight.Could be Robalos are built a little different?

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Or could be that they are completely gone. :eek:

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I planned on using the pourable transom method but found it almost impossibe to get all of the wood out using the drill, chainsaw method. Just make sure you get all the wood out and try some iboat searches on pourable transoms, you might be surprised at what you find. Good luck with project looks like a nice boat.

joeturse

Seaman

I planned on using the pourable transom method but found it almost impossibe to get all of the wood out using the drill, chainsaw method. Just make sure you get all the wood out and try some iboat searches on pourable transoms, you might be surprised at what you find. Good luck with project looks like a nice boat.

Thanks,she is a nice boat I am looking forward to using it.So far we have most of the rotted wood out.
Did some e-mails with rep from Nida Bond,and he assured me that the product would bond to wood and fiberglass.So as long as it is not rotted or wet, any wood left should not be a problem.But it looks like we will get it all out.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

How are you gonna get the tiny pieces of wood from the bottom?

joeturse

Seaman

How are you gonna get the tiny pieces of wood from the bottom?

Spade drill bit with 2 extensions,and long chisels,and time and patience.
I did'nt say it was gonna be easy,but what the hey,I have plenty of time.

VeroWing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Out of curiosity, how are you going to pour the Nidacore product on sides of notched area on left and right, that are higher than the top of the notch?

joeturse

Seaman

The wood in that area is pretty solid,and most of it will stay.We do intend to drill holes angled down, and pour Nida Bond into them.From what the Rep told me it will adhere to wood.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey joeturse, Welcome to the rebuildin club.
I don't mean to be doom and gloom BUT do yourself a favor, don't do what I did. Initially I thought it was just the transom, I didn't pay attention to if the transom is gone so are the stringers, statements.
Hate to say this but gues what, everybody here was right cause they have been there before.

Pull the cap, cut the splashwell out whatever, the stringers might end at the fiberglass for the transom, they did on mine so there was a layer of glass between them BUT they were still rotted.
Do it right if you can, the mony you would spend on Nida Bond would more than cover ACX plywood and such to do it right and be sure that the boat is structually sound

jonesg

Admiral

Out of curiosity, how are you going to pour the Nidacore product on sides of notched area on left and right, that are higher than the top of the notch?

I did that, build a dam to hold it back and pour the filler in from the top.
A peice of wood and duct tape will hold the core material in there.
I made a funnel from alum ducting sheet.

jonesg

Admiral

Naysayers bah, :rolleyes:

you don't need to get every splinter of wood out.
I did the side risers on mine but if the wood was ok I would have left them alone.

Run a vacuum extention down the transom,
make your own with pvc tube and duct tape.

Flush with acetone to displace any water if wet.

Let it dry , pour the composite core , cap it and go boating.
It WILL work.:)

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think anyone is naysaying you. We have all just been there and realized that a rotten transom means 99% of the time rotted everything else. Its just people that are giving fair warning to what may be coming.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I don't think anyone is naysaying you. We have all just been there and realized that a rotten transom means 99% of the time rotted everything else. Its just people that are giving fair warning to what may be coming.

Thanks THRILL TO MANY ZOMBIES TODAY LOL

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Thrill 100% and I hope you did not take what I said the wrong way. Usually when the transom zombies strike the stringer zombies do too because they travel in packs, unless you have thrills weapon of choice to fend them off. lol

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I agree with Thrill 100% and I hope you did not take what I said the wrong way. Usually when the transom zombies strike the stringer zombies do too because they travel in packs, unless you have thrills weapon of choice to fend them off. lol

HEY 83 vert I should be offended ROFLMAO I have enough weapons to fend of any Zombi out there LOL :D